Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I’ve recently been experiencing two different symptoms on my xterra. About a month ago my car misfired on the second cylinder (P0302) by lagging to accelerate when I pushed the pedal and then it would go after a second. I assumed it was a coil or spark plug so moved the coil on the second cylinder to the fourth cylinder and erased the codes to see if the coil misfire would move. Unfortunately a whole month went by and I got no misfire at all! Then a few days ago I got a random misfire (P0300) and the car was shaking , while my check engine light was blinking. I want to mention I was experiencing this random misfire while I was on my reserve gas and my orange emergency gas light was on. I then filled up my whole tank and have not had a misfire since I filled up my tank 5 days ago. Do you guys think this might be fuel related ? Any one else experience the same thing ?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
year and engine size please, also have the codes read if the light is still on, or even oif not as flashing cel is not good, means take care of me now.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As kms1990 said, a blinking light is a sign that there is something serious going on. Since you described it as being on reserve gas with the gas light being on and that the problem went away when you filled up there are a couple of possibilities that could be linked to that.
1) If you typically don't run your tank down to near empty then you may have had moisture in your tank that got pulled through the system. Refilling the tank diluted the moisture. Likewise, an empty or nearly empty tank is more prone to getting moisture issues if left empty or nearly empty for a prolonged period. Especially in cooler climates due to condensation and the ethanol component of gas' propensity to absorb moisture. If you've had a recent cold snap lately and the vehicle was on E, you may have just had a condensation issue.

2) If is possible that your issue was due to being on empty and you went up a steep incline resulting in air being drawn into the fuel system due to low gas around the pump. This will cause an extremely lean condition and will cause the engine to buck, but not stall if there is still enough gas being drawn to keep things going.

I would definitely get the codes read again (or invest in your own blue tooth scanner ($10 -$100) depending on the model and brand. You can leave it plugged in and check it via a cell phone app.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Satito has you covered, follow his suggestions that is likely to be your issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been trying to replicate the misfire but I haven’t gotten to the gas tank to near empty yet, if I can duplicate the misfire I feel like it can be a sign of a failing fuel pump/filter

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I’ve been trying to replicate the misfire but I haven’t gotten to the gas tank to near empty yet, if I can duplicate the misfire I feel like it can be a sign of a failing fuel pump/filter
throw some seafoam in the next tank of gas as well, it will clean up the tank and system god, and rid moisture very well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts