Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name's Alex, and I just recently bought a 2002 Xterra. Having wheeled both an 05 Wrangler and a 13 Outback, I'm excited to see how far this thing will take me.

Lockers before light bars lol I plan to lock the front and rear, run 33 or 32" Tires, but keep the center of gravity as low as I can. No idea yet how I'll go about doing any of this, because I know next to nothing about these trucks, but one thing I do know; these things are TANKS! The frame on this thing is BEEFY and that makes me happy. Also, are they all really slow? Or just mine? Haha, my Outback is faster I think. Can't wait to go on my first trip with it!

Anyway, excited and honored to join your ranks!

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
453 Posts
Diesel tech?? I’m hoping you fall in love with yours, decide to do a diesel swap, and give us an awesome step by step on how you did it! Like you said, they aren’t fast, and man is the mileage bad. I’d love to see a TDI in one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would recommend cleaning up that grill, mine was hideous when i first got mine, nothing a little sanding and spray paint cant fix
Wow, that looks great! I do plan to take care of that, even thinking about projector retrofits for the headlights down the road. Mine's got a little more body rust than yours, it looks like, so it might never be a show car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diesel tech?? I’m hoping you fall in love with yours, decide to do a diesel swap, and give us an awesome step by step on how you did it! Like you said, they aren’t fast, and man is the mileage bad. I’d love to see a TDI in one.
Haha, yeah! I've already given some thought to doing some kind of swap to it, initially a Cummins 4BT, but that thing's really tall and heavy requiring a SAS and some way stiffer suspension. All told, the TDI might be a more flexible powerplant if not quite as cool as a real old grunty 600ft/lbs mechanically injected tank of an engine. Down the road, it will get swapped to something else, I just don't know what yet. An old SBC or an LS? Who knows!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, Alex and welcome aboard! Congrats on your new rig, looks great. Tons of great info here and full of good people that are more than happy to share their knowledge. Be sure to reach out if any help needed!
Thanks! I've only just been on here a week or so, and I've already learned a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to CX
Yeah they are not what anyone would call fast. Locked in the rear, plated, and a set of sliders and they are very capable.
Pretty much what I've gathered about them from reading around on here, and watching a few Youtube videos. I plan to keep this thing pretty simple for now, because how will I ever really appreciate it's abilities if I mod it before I ever take it to it's stock limits?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Alex! I totalled my '05 Wrangler that I had planned to keep (hopefully) forever and just bought an '02 Xterra last night! I live in Colorado and plan to take it off road-I know it hasn't been long but how are you liking yours so far? "Tank" is definitely how I would describe these. Can't wait to see how it handles the mountains!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Alex! I totalled my '05 Wrangler that I had planned to keep (hopefully) forever and just bought an '02 Xterra last night! I live in Colorado and plan to take it off road-I know it hasn't been long but how are you liking yours so far? "Tank" is definitely how I would describe these. Can't wait to see how it handles the mountains!
Well, it's been a while now, and I just keep loving it more every day! How about yours? Did you get to wheel it yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys! So just wanted to pop back in an update y'all on my build progress. Between now and last time, I lost both my bumper and my hood (it opened up like a bag of chips going down the highway at 60mph lol), I built my own custom rear bumper, replaced the radiator core support, upgraded to LED aux lighting, threw on a roof rack and 285/75r16's on, removed the front swaybar, and wheeled the heck out of it. OH! and the nerf bars got destroyed my first time I went out lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts