Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

@snunicycler sold his 2004 and I'm the happy new owner. To replace the 2001 that was damaged a couple months ago, I decided to go with one that is still 4WD and has had no accident. Here's the listing with more pics than I have to share at this time.

I bought it Saturday the 17th and drove about 750 miles home with it. At 65 mph I got about 18 mpg, and at 60 mph I got about 21 mpg.

Eventually, I'll get the 2001 put together the best I can without the help of a body shop and put it up for sale.

That said, here they are sitting side by side. Not the best pic, but it'll get things started until I get more.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sweet 馃憤
Looks like you got your own xterra club out there. Nice ride
So... "Me Two"?
Haha! I hope it treats you well, enjoy!
Thanks, guys!

"Club Me Two" will eventually be "It's Just Me" again. My daily commuter is sitting to the left of those 2.

I'd also like to mention that meeting @snunicycler was a real treat. Having spent only a little time with him that Saturday morning, he was the epitome of a gentleman. I can honestly say that this is the best car-buying experience I have ever had. I rented a car, a friend and I drove 12 hours overnight to be able to return it on time, and he chose to meet me there rather than let me take a cab to his place. His wife even got involved by taking time to pick him up when she was off work, instead of having me drive 45 minutes the opposite way to do it. If he ever needs any help, please treat him well.

Registered
2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD V6 manual transmission 133k miles
Hey all!

@snunicycler sold his 2004 and I'm the happy new owner. To replace the 2001 that was damaged a couple months ago, I decided to go with one that is still 4WD and has had no accident. Here's the listing with more pics than I have to share at this time.

I bought it Saturday the 17th and drove about 750 miles home with it. At 65 mph I got about 18 mpg, and at 60 mph I got about 21 mpg.

Eventually, I'll get the 2001 put together the best I can without the help of a body shop and put it up for sale.

That said, here they are sitting side by side. Not the best pic, but it'll get things started until I get more.

View attachment 76916
Congrats! looks like a badass.

How the HECK do you get 21MPG. I don't think I've ever topped 16 and my rig ain't even lifted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! looks like a badass.

How the HECK do you get 21MPG. I don't think I've ever topped 16 and my rig ain't even lifted.
Thanks. Yep, it's lifted a bit. Got it that way and I like it more than I thought I would. The rear sway bar has been removed, front is disconnected. Plans are to transfer the rear sway bar from my '01 to this '04, and then find quick disconnects for both.

I drove at 65 mph and got 17.96 mpg for the first tank. Second tank I started at 60 mph and got 21.20 mpg on half a tank. After that I drove 60 mph for another half a tank, but it started to get late so I sped up to 65-67 mph and netted 19.68 mpg for that tank.

The first tank was on 87, the last 2 tanks were on 89 and the pumps said "no ethanol". I believe that the absence of ethanol made a measurable difference. I'll know more since the pumps around here are all labeled "up to 10% ethanol".

The '01 needs some TLC, possibly just a little spin of the dizzy, since the best I've gotten from it was 13 mpg! Previous owner replaced the rad, dizzy, plugs, and wires. May not have timed it right, or at all.

The exact figures are:

Miles @ StartMiles @ EndTrip OdoOctane BurnedGallonsCalc'd MPGRounded MPGCruise Set Speed
208,681 (First Fill Up)208,926245.88713.68317.963896806317.96 or 18.065
208,926209,107180.689 non-ethanol8.51921.199671322921.20 or 21.260
209,107209,427319.989 non-ethanol16.25619.678887795319.68 or 19.7陆 tank=60, 陆=65-67

Registered
2001 Xterra XE 3.3 V6 Auto 4WD
Hey that sounds like an all round good experience mine wasn't so good but I'm happy with my purchase

Reactions: MeToo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally did it. After cleaning up the headlight lenses in May of 2021, it now has LED bulbs and some real ability to see at night. @supermanual did his, and after seeing the pictures, I was convinced that I could replace the dual-filament halogens with LEDs. Thanks, dude!

I chose model # AUXITO-Y13-9007 and replaced them last night. The first picture is the halogens, but even after adjusting it based on what I actually was able to see, it's still too bright. The next one shows LED on the left, halogen on the right. Both images are the low beams. All images are BEFORE ADJUSTING!

Here are both LED and halogen on high beams.

Here are both LEDs on low and high. What a difference in the amount of light and the clarity!

Parking lot LEDs low and high with phone on top of steering wheel. Again, before adjusting!

I drove around afterward and adjusted them, but they probably need a little more attention. Overall, I'm very satisfied with these lights. I have the Auxito brand all over the vehicle, with all of my parking, stop, turn, and reverse lights outside, plus the dome lights inside. For the brake and turn lights, all I had to do was add load-balancing resistors and everything works like it should.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it's been a while, but it's my thread, so I guess I'm forgiven, eh? :cool:

The HVAC air control illumination in my 2004 has been intermittent for some time and finally died altogether about a month ago. Two weekends ago I took it apart and found that one bulb and holder is missing, and the remaining one is burnt out. I upgraded them to LEDs, except that I'm not using the original bulb holder like I did on my former 2001. I used the LED bulbs from the same order as the ones in the 2001, but this time I used the wedge sockets that they came with. I just soldered a pair of small wires to the connections, then hot-glued them into the housing.

Having learned from using them in the 2001, this time I added heat-shrink to the ends so only 2 of the 3 LED chips add light inside the HU. The two images at the bottom are with the lights off, then on. It was broad daylight and sunny, so they're not the best pics for seeing the lights, but they're in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I learned something about the Rear Defrost switch, too. The type of plastic Nissan used is very brittle. The black part of the button came loose from the white part, and a small piece of the white part broke off. It just so happens that it helps the black part snap in! So I used some hot glue to keep it in place and then the button would not work after putting the face back on.

There's gap between the black and white parts, and the face fits between them. It was hitting the glue and pressing on the switch, not letting me operate it. So I had to remove the glue and put it all back together just kinda hanging there in space. It's trapped between the face plate and rear plate, so it's not going anywhere. Oh well!

As you can see from above, it's all back together and seems to work properly.

Here, you can see one of the white tabs is broken off before gluing it. There should be two.

Here it is all glued up. When I removed the glue, the other tab broke off as well. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It finally got dark around here. This is with the dimmer turned all the way down before it turns off. The bottom of the blue looks a bit off in the image, but in real life it's pretty even.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I discovered that the instrument cluster has 5 serviceable bulbs in it, unlike my former 2001 that has about 2 dozen! Those 5 are the 2 for illumination, 1 for high beams, and both turn signal bulbs.

All the rest of the lights in the cluster are factory LEDs for the idiot lights and other indicators.

Here's what mine looks like now:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I was drying the clear face cover, it snapped, so now I need to replace it. Everything else is now clean. To my eyes, the lights actually appear blue, so the image above is not a true indicator of it. I'll see if I can get one that's more accurate.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, in keeping with the plans I have for this rig, I just ordered:
  • Gates t-belt kit, with water pump and 4 studs
  • SC version of radiator
  • 2 cam seal
  • 1 crank seal (front)
  • harmonic balancer
  • radiator cap (1.3 bar) with temp gauge showing 掳C
I guess I know what I'm doing in the near future!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sunday, May 8: Trip to junkyard for some goodies. One of the items I came across was an Xterra First Aid bag. I inventoried the contents and found only a few items missing:
  • 3 of the 6 sterile 4x4 dressings
  • 1 of the 2 gauze rolls
Everything else was in a Ziploc bag. When I pulled the bag off the tailgate, I was also able to get all 4 straps with the plastic rivets.

So, if you've ever wondered what might be in a stock kit, here's the list.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gettin' in-n-out just got easier! Running boards from JY trip, from the same Xterra that surrendered the first aid kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts