Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been running a full set of Mesa A/P 30x9.5xR15 LT tires since I bought my X a year and a half ago.

I was just wondering if anyone knows who makes them, if they are their own brand, and if anyone has a set of Mesa's on their X.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
i believe they are a saudi arabia manufactured tire

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Found this on a Ford forum with a quick google search. This was said by about 5 different people on there:

"I know this is an old thread..but..Mesa tires are made by Cooper."

Thy also gave this info:

1st locate the DOT code: It will usually be on only one side of the tire, down by the rim. If you don't see it on the outside as you have your tires mounted, it should be found on the inside. It will look like this:
DOT MC(XX XXXX) WKYR
as an example: I have a Firestone tire with this as its code DOT 8XHL xxx 3900

Here's what it means:
MC -- These first two characters after DOT designate the manufacturer/plant. Take these two characters and enter them into the DOT ID search field of this NHTSA search page http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/manufacture/ For my example, it shows 8X as Bridgestone/Firestone in Graniteville, SC.

The X's are extra digits used by some manufacturers to identify individual tire lines and stuff. From what I can gather, these digits, when present, are only meaningful to the manufacturer.

The last four digits designate the week (WK) and year (YR) the tire was manufactured. I've seen some indication that older tires (pre-'99 or something) will sometimes only use 3 digits, where the first two indicate week, and the last one year. So a date code of 414 would be the 41st week of either 1994 or 1984. So, for my sample tire, it was made in the 39th week (late sept/early oct) of 2000.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow...that's great info rjr162! Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cooper makes them for Big O. They make alot of Big O branded tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some Mesa P245/70R17 A/P2 tires on my 2013 Ff150 because Big O put the wrong size on it. It had P235/75R17 Hankooks. I had one bad tire from a small piece of metal in the road and two worn from the front being out of alignment (even though I paid for an alignment at another shop), Anyway, Big O told me they didn't sell Hankooks or Goodyear tires so I settled for these, I later found out they lied because they sell both of those brands. Aside from all that, these are the roughest riding tires that I've driven on, that includes my dads old 67 Chevy dump truck (school bus size tires) and my old four wheel drives with 40 inch mud tires. After I got these tires, I had a flat within a week and I took it to Big O for the free repair. They put the tire back on and put the spare back under the truck. A few days later I noticed the spare tire lock cylinder was missing. I confronted them and they denied that it was in there and said that they did not lose it. I'm still trying to resolve these issues with Big O.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
It's better to deal with reputable companies selling real tires overall.

A lot of "Value Engineered" products are out there. Cooper, GY, etc, ALL sell private label sub-brands.

They take a well known model, and, a seller, Sears, Big-O, etc, says, hey, make a us a version we can buy from you at $45/tire if we get 200,000 of them.

So, they take the expensive rubber compounding out, and substitute a cheaper compound, remove a ply or two from the carcass, use thinner tread or sidewalls, less sturdy beads, have it made in India or China, or whatever they need to cut corners on to hit the target price volume.

And people who just shop price buy those tires. People who do a little research say, oh, they're made by goodyear, so I am really getting a goodyear tire for less, etc...not knowing the rubber, etc, is different.

And so forth.

>:D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't ran these for a long time but from what I remember offroad I absolutely loved them. I only drove with them in roughly 2 inches of snow - so that doesn't count for much. Overall I liked the look and the ability they gave me offroad but now knowing there are better tires out there such as the BFG AT KO2s or the Wrangler Duratracs (which I plan on getting a set of tomorrow), I would probably not buy the Mesa APs again.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's better to deal with reputable companies selling real tires overall.

A lot of "Value Engineered" products are out there. Cooper, GY, etc, ALL sell private label sub-brands.

They take a well known model, and, a seller, Sears, Big-O, etc, says, hey, make a us a version we can buy from you at $45/tire if we get 200,000 of them.

So, they take the expensive rubber compounding out, and substitute a cheaper compound, remove a ply or two from the carcass, use thinner tread or sidewalls, less sturdy beads, have it made in India or China, or whatever they need to cut corners on to hit the target price volume.

And people who just shop price buy those tires. People who do a little research say, oh, they're made by goodyear, so I am really getting a goodyear tire for less, etc...not knowing the rubber, etc, is different.

And so forth.

>:D
Hate to say I buy from American tire great prices and will price match .do your homework look into what your buying

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.