Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I took my X in to get the timing belt/water pump changed. The mechanic estimated it at 500 maybe less if they didn't run into any problems.

Well today i went to pick it up and he said that there was an extra 1-1.5 hours of labor for trying to get the crank shaft pulley off. He said that the bolt was snapped and that they couldn't get it off, so they had to drill it/fix.

He said that the bolt was snapped from before i took it there saying that some other mechanic messed it up.

Is it possible for the crank shaft pulley to stay on when the bolt is snapped? The previous owner never had any other job done that would require this piece removed, so i am kind of suspicious about "the other mechanic".

A 500 dollar job turned into a 640 dollar job. :usuck:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
holy crap

lol, im gonna go ahead and say that they are the ones that broke it, lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
LOL they broke it... There is no way you could drive without it on there... Its a PITA to get off and I could easily see how they would have broken it.. Go ask to see the bolt head.. If there is corosion where the snap happened... I guess its not out of the question. BUT you would have known it was busted.. Would have been loud as hell and... Yeah they broke it..BTW thats a good deal! if you took it to the dealer, it would have been around $850.. But still... They broke it..

·
ASE Certified
4,772 Posts
They probably broke it. Ask to see the bolt. It's possible to drive without the bolt because the pulley is on there pretty tight but it probably wouldn't have lasted long. You wouldn't remove the crank to do the FSU its located back under the rear passenger seat. I'd start bitching and not let up until they let you pay the original price at maximum. Considering they did damage I'd try tog et even more knocked off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My advice is to be happy with the $650.00, even if the bolt thing is a lie.
I just finished replacing my T-Belt, W-Pump, and tentioner that cost about $250.00 for all the parts. Doing the job myself saved me some money, but I can tell you first hand this is not a job for just any mechanic that has a cheap price. I've done my own mechanic work for years and out of all the jobs I've done, the timing belt is the most critical for interferance type engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts