Nissan XTerra Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
mx592 - Can I be one of the BETA testers?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry, beta testing is over! But I did lower the price, it is now $145 plus shipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everytime I take a wheel off or anything I clean the area and repaint with camo green or that rubber undercoating, that shit is awesome.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Salt on the roads. Mine was 12 years old and had about 115k miles on it. While there was rust elsewhere on the car, the lower radiator support was the worst.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Salting the roads should be illegal, damn.... I lived on Padre Island for the past 10 years and its not very rusty at all.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
FYI I am doing a 10% coupon code for the month of January and I currently have 5 pieces in stock. Once these are gone, the discount will be over. Code is XTERRA10.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, perfect timing. Just came from the mechanic (for a tune up) and they said they wont do any work because my radiator support is badly rusted. I finally came around to decide to do a tune up on the X cause it has been behaving weirdly. However now I am stuck and unsure, as much as I want to keep it, I cannot afford all these repairs and I do not have a garage. Anyone in Columbus Ohio area know someone who can do some decent work or a garage I can rent? Plus any advice if I should keep the X would be appreciated. (137000 miles, needs new spark plugs, belts, 02 sensors and both rear cats, has rust around wheel well on the rear)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have a couple ready to ship if you decide you need one!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are pictures of my work so far. A little background: After the winter I noticed coolant dripping from under the X. Traced it to a leaky water pump seal (tip of the day - don't trust shitty NAPA parts). I did the timing belt and water pump with a local mobile mechanic (DZ Mobile Mechanix if anyone in the Hudson Valley needs help - he's awesome) and in the process decided to pull apart the entire front end to do miscellaneous other maintenance (like the corner lights, the below bumper support, etc). I was going to look into getting the whole OEM part for the support and just cut away what I didn't need, but happened upon this thread which has been a god send.

The tie bar as I was about to pull it off:

Left side tie bar mount. I separated it from the body with a chisel. Rust/corrosion went a little further up than some.

Right side tie bar mount. I had removed the rubber feet from the bottom of the AC condenser - thankfully they were still in place.

As MX592 mentions in his directions, the bolts holding the bumpter supports in place are VERY prone to snapping. This one didn't even budge before it just snapped right off at the head. (Left side rear)

And the right side front also snapped as I had it about halfway out - I tried to finesse it but it just wanted to be a dick.

I used some shims to support the radiator on the frame on each side. I measured to give people and idea of how much "lift" is appropriate:

The old tie rod after a little stress relief:

An example of the corrosion we experience as Xterra owners - this is after the tie bar was removed and before I cleaned away the rust and hit it with Rust Reformer spray and bed liner:

Getting the new bar in place to drill the mounting holes:

For anyone worried about "what happens if the tie bar gives way and the radiator drops" - I took a picture of the distance between the radiator shroud and the fan with the radiator sitting on the frame with no support. You could "probably" get away with no support, but I personally wouldn't risk it:

New tie bar in place:

Left side bolts in place:

Right side bolts in place:

Any questions and constructive feedback welcome.

I thought the included bolts would be too short since there was still a little gap between the bar and the body due to a weld on one side that I didn't bother to get rid of. But once you tighten them down they do the job perfectly. I'll post additional pictures once I have all the accessories back in place (windshield reservoir, mount for the horn and ari bag sensor, etc). I already redrilled and tapped the two seized bolts, just need to get new bolts for the bumper mounts to start buttoning it all up.
Do you have a guide how to remove the front grille and bumper? also how you got the broken nuts out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
okay guys, I've sold the X and haven't had time to do the support so I have it with me, still unopened. I will sell it and ship it cheaper if anyone needs it, pm me.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts