Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
They came in! PM me if you are interested!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
First unit is shipping to Larry tomorrow!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome back. I'll get payment to your paypal by night's end. Looking forward to slapping it on and getting the X back on the road for winter.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good news -

A local gentleman (farmerned) has offered to drop his '04 X off at my house for the weekend so I can perform and document the install myself. So with a little luck, I will have a writeup on this for you sometime next week!

Reactions: PsiFire

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Also for what it's worth, in the Nissan world this part is known as the Lower Tie Bar. Nissan does sell it as part number 62530-9Z430 for about $210-$215 plus shipping. And it will eventually rust out again. There are also cheap aftermarket replacements (~$90) that include the entire radiator support (62500-2Z630 - close to $400 from Nissan) but you would need to cut the tie bar out and then weld it or find a way to fasten what's left of it to the remaining sheet metal, which will just rust out again in a couple years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good news -

A local gentleman (farmerned) has offered to drop his '04 X off at my house for the weekend so I can perform and document the install myself. So with a little luck, I will have a writeup on this for you sometime next week!
mx592 has the solution for your rusted out lower support. We were able to purchase one and we are very impressed by how this bolted up and incorporated all the parts that are supported or are attached in any way. It is very apparent to me that he is a perfectionist and we are 100% satisfied.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Ned! Nice meeting you and your son, glad you are happy!

I will be posting the pictures and instructions within the next couple days. The installation went very well, the tie bar fit like a glove! It took about 3 hours, although the bumper and grille were already removed when Ned dropped it off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did it take that long because you went slowly to document the whole install? My entire front end is already apart and when I saw this thread I decided to do the support now instead of waiting and risking the thing falling apart over the winter.

What did you use to grind away the old support? Not sure how to approach that beyond the BFH.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nicely done manual. Looks like it will be here Friday. Saturday looks to be a wash. Hoping I can get some work done on Sunday. I'll see if I can post some video clips while doing it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Install is mostly complete here. All I can say is DAMN FINE JOB on the part. I even tried to find gripes about it but couldn't (I'm a little OCD myself). I'll follow up with pictures and tips shortly. But if anyone is in need of a part to replace your rusted out tie bar, MX592 is your man.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here are pictures of my work so far. A little background: After the winter I noticed coolant dripping from under the X. Traced it to a leaky water pump seal (tip of the day - don't trust shitty NAPA parts). I did the timing belt and water pump with a local mobile mechanic (DZ Mobile Mechanix if anyone in the Hudson Valley needs help - he's awesome) and in the process decided to pull apart the entire front end to do miscellaneous other maintenance (like the corner lights, the below bumper support, etc). I was going to look into getting the whole OEM part for the support and just cut away what I didn't need, but happened upon this thread which has been a god send.

The tie bar as I was about to pull it off:

Left side tie bar mount. I separated it from the body with a chisel. Rust/corrosion went a little further up than some.

Right side tie bar mount. I had removed the rubber feet from the bottom of the AC condenser - thankfully they were still in place.

As MX592 mentions in his directions, the bolts holding the bumpter supports in place are VERY prone to snapping. This one didn't even budge before it just snapped right off at the head. (Left side rear)

And the right side front also snapped as I had it about halfway out - I tried to finesse it but it just wanted to be a dick.

I used some shims to support the radiator on the frame on each side. I measured to give people and idea of how much "lift" is appropriate:

The old tie rod after a little stress relief:

An example of the corrosion we experience as Xterra owners - this is after the tie bar was removed and before I cleaned away the rust and hit it with Rust Reformer spray and bed liner:

Getting the new bar in place to drill the mounting holes:

For anyone worried about "what happens if the tie bar gives way and the radiator drops" - I took a picture of the distance between the radiator shroud and the fan with the radiator sitting on the frame with no support. You could "probably" get away with no support, but I personally wouldn't risk it:

New tie bar in place:

Left side bolts in place:

Right side bolts in place:

Any questions and constructive feedback welcome.

I thought the included bolts would be too short since there was still a little gap between the bar and the body due to a weld on one side that I didn't bother to get rid of. But once you tighten them down they do the job perfectly. I'll post additional pictures once I have all the accessories back in place (windshield reservoir, mount for the horn and ari bag sensor, etc). I already redrilled and tapped the two seized bolts, just need to get new bolts for the bumper mounts to start buttoning it all up.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Awesome work! Thank you for posting all of the great pictures as well. One thing I noticed is that the flanges on your chassis are taller and wider than mine and Ned’s were - both of ours were ‘04s. What year is your X again?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
For anyone interested in purchasing these, they are now available on my site at www.zprecision.com

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Awesome work! Thank you for posting all of the great pictures as well. One thing I noticed is that the flanges on your chassis are taller and wider than mine and Ned’s were - both of ours were ‘04s. What year is your X again?
I have a Silver 2002 Xterra in XE trim - that year was separated for some parts - mine I believe was manufactured later in the year, not sure if that matters for the body.

Working on coating the other parts (bumper support, middle rail that has the horn and airbag sensor on it, etc) with rust converter and a coating of rubberized paint to help mitigate future rust (yeah right). I'll try to post more pictures as I go if I remember. Got the washer reservoir in place and while tighter than the prior bar, fits nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I need this, I have thought of doing my own work, But living in Wisconsin and your a neighbor I'd just drive to pick one up if you still make them!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have one in stock ready to go. But I’m located in Michigan so if you want to drive around the lake that’s up to you! If you would like to purchase please visit www.zprecision.com. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts