Nissan XTerra Forum banner

What should I do about these arms?

• Leave them alone(bushing is probably torn)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install new bushings and ball joints(adds some labor for sure)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, more letters coming soon
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing basically a whole new front end on the X. New shocks and springs, new upper control arms and new steering. The only thing I didn’t get was anything for the lower control arms. Mine are OE with about 225000 miles.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,232 Posts
Offroad I’d replace they have a tendency to fracture around the LBJ and break the shock mounts off as they age. Mine need to be replaced and I hope Nissan is still offering them as I don’t want to use aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I haven't seen the post describing the problem, but if the arms themselves are still in good condition I would buy some good quality bushings and balljoints and rebuild em over buying aftermarket. I generally go with MOOG for my balljoints. I also go MOOG for the bushings if I want traditional rubber/stock feel or for a urethane bushing I've gone with Prothane in the past. Changing them out isn't that bad, it just takes time, a little sweat, some swearing and some beer.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,232 Posts
The issue is they were never really meant to be serviced. Bad LBJ? Replace with the LCA as an assembly. The LBJ is a press fit and the material on the LCA is thin so it’s very hard to get them seated like OEM.

The LCA is thin and prone to cracking especially if they are wheeled. SLR and someone else IIRC used to make a plate kit to reinforce the arm itself.

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, more letters coming soon
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m thinking I may just get aftermarket ones and save the OE ones in case I want to rebuild them. My wife loves it when I save car parts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
LOL, She takes a photo of the shoes and sticks it to the outside of the box. THen she stores the shoes in the box so she can stack them and always know what's in each box.

I'm more of a "chaos is my friend" kind of guy. My worst nightmare is when she "organizes" my stuff. I can't find anything for months. :D

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,367 Posts
LOL, She takes a photo of the shoes and sticks it to the outside of the box. THen she stores the shoes in the box so she can stack them and always know what's in each box.

I'm more of a "chaos is my friend" kind of guy. My worst nightmare is when she "organizes" my stuff. I can't find anything for months. :D
When she's done "organizing", put it all in a bucket, shake it a time or two, then dump it in your Man Cave / Shop. You'll be back to finding everything in an instant! 🤣

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,821 Posts

There are clear indications that our wives would be good friends. A cross we both have to bear!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts