Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, long story short - any tips on removing the rear lower control arm bushing?

Short story long - About a month ago I started on a 3" SL on my 2001. After TONS of minor problems, I'm ALMOST ready to start putting it all back together. I got the rear done with out too many hiccups, but the front has been giving me fits. I'm about at the point that if it had 4 wheels on it, I would just roll it in to the nearest lake and be done with it :wacko:

I sawzalled all four camber bolts to get the UCA's off, discovered I needed to replace my lower ball joints, and came to the conclusion that while I had things all torn apart, I wanted to take care of everything, and the bushings on the lower control arm weren't moving much. Both of the front bolts were cake. Pulled them off, cleaned and lubed them up, and was ready to go. The rear ones... not so much. Completely rust-welded in place. Tried BFH's, heat, penetrating oil soaks, everything I could think of to break it loose, and finally threw my hands up. I cut the front (threaded) side and ground the head off the rear (splined). I torched the rubber, and now all that is left is the outer metal sheath of the bushings. Once I get those out, I can FINALLY start putting it back together and hopefully be done with playing mechanic for a while... But I'm back to being out of ideas. BFH, heat, oil soak, punches, saws, etc. The only thing I am making any head way with is using a chisel punch to literally carve the bushing out - I'm going on 2 hours and I'm only about half way there on the first... HELP?!

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
They are famously horrific.

I got mine off by soaking them in Kroil for 2 days.

It dissolved the rust welds,, and they were then able to slide out.

Prior to that, yup, torches and sledgehammering didn't work either.

·
Brooklyn br0
3,097 Posts
My friend didn’t have two days when I helped a him do this. Not my truck;

He ended up cutting the sleeve at the top with a sawzal…slowly…so as not to cut frame and then peeled it out using a combination of flat screwdriver, hammer and needle nose vise grip.

After cleaning it out a buddy still had to grind a bit off one end of the new bushing to get it to press in.

What a pain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it was a long hard road, but I eventually made it. The first one I used a chisel punch on and it took over 4 hours to get it out, and then I had to spend an hour or so with a dremel and file cleaning up the mount on the frame. That helped open the frame mount up a bit and I only had to grind about 1/4" off the inner sleeve to get the passenger side back together. I learned from my mistake, and took a sawzall to the drivers side - three cuts and it literally fell out - 5 minutes tops. MUCH better than the passenger side. But, since I didn't had to grind/file to clean up my mess, the new bushing didn't want to go in. At this point I was almost 6 weeks in to the on again/off again project of a suspension lift, and I was just DONE. I WHALED on it trying to get it in there, and in the process, bent the $h!t out of it. Again, being in full on F-IT mode, I grabbed the sawzall and cut the mangled remains of the new bushing off - about 1/2" of the outer sleeve plus the extra ~1/2" of the inner sleeve. I know I should have gone out and got another bushing, done some grinding/filing to get the bushing in, but that didn't happen. I'm figuring if it ends up failing, at least now I have EVERY bolt in the front of the suspension freed, so it should be easier to get in and work on it if I need to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey yall, I had to start this process on Nessie cause her drivers side LBJ was wobbling in the housing! Chewed through my tire which by the way had 50% tread left AT LEAST. So its been a great week.

After 4 hours of chiseling though that rubber bushing im down to this question, does that thin metal sleeve have to come out as well? Or do I just need to clean all the excess rubber out and press in the new bushing?

Thanks, any other tips would be great appreciated, im surprised that my X isn't at the bottom of a lake by now. PITA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts