Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

From an earlier post I made, I mentioned that I had my transmission replaced with a rebuilt tranny and the radiator brand new. The car runs but sadly the car still pulls but I cope with the fact that the car gets me from A to B. Also, I noticed that after this "repair" that my AC stopped blowing cold air.

So here's a scenario: I made a long drive (30-1 hour) to pick up my brother from work. I parked and turned off the car. 3 minutes later, turned on the car to leave and noticed a loud, fan-like noise coming from the front end of the car that would last about 10 seconds before seizing. No other issues driving after that, simply the car pulling as usual.

This only happens when I make long drives and right after turning the car back on to drive without giving it at last 30 minutes to "cool off". Can anyone assist with this? I have no clue if the AC issue and the noise issue are related. No check engine lights are on... However, 2 months back the check engine light turned on and turned off on its own after 2 weeks. Would like to consider getting AC fixed before summer if the price is reasonable.... 馃様

Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
What year, engine? 4x4 or 2WD?

If yours has electric radiator fans, then it could just be the fans themselves working to cool the radiator and blow some air on the engine while they're at it.

If it has a clutch fan, then it has probably been heat-soaked and will blow a lot of air until it has cooled enough to get quieter.

The AC was most likely affected when the trans work was done, since it was working before but not after. Ask them to see if they might have left a plug unplugged.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
What year, engine? 4x4 or 2WD?

If yours has electric radiator fans, then it could just be the fans themselves working to cool the radiator and blow some air on the engine while they're at it.

If it has a clutch fan, then it has probably been heat-soaked and will blow a lot of air until it has cooled enough to get quieter.

The AC was most likely affected when the trans work was done, since it was working before but not after. Ask them to see if they might have left a plug unplugged.
Hi MeToo,

I have a 2006 Xterra 2WD 6 cylinder.
Are these 2 things that you describe of serious concern? I never had this sound happen when I first got the car.... Ok Ill ask about the plugs! Are there any plugs that you are specifically referring to or should I just ask about AC plugs? Thank you kindly, your response is putting me a bit at ease.

Registered
Neither of those 2 scenarios is an issue. It's how they should work normally.

Since yours is a Gen2, it will have the electric rad cooling fans, not the clutch fan. When you hear that noise, pop the hood and see if the fans are turning at full speed or if they seem to be going slower.

Also, pressing the AC button could turn the rad cooling fans on even if the AC doesn't.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Since yours is a Gen2, it will have the electric rad cooling fans, not the clutch fan. When you hear that noise, pop the hood and see if the fans are turning at full speed or if they seem to be going slower.

Also, pressing the AC button could turn the rad cooling fans on even if the AC doesn't.

Ok I will check this out the next time this happens. If the fans are at full speed, is that a concern? 馃槄 I want check all the boxes before I dismiss this noise too quickly. Thank you again for you help!

Registered
Full speed means that AC has been requested, or that the ECT sensor is indicating a higher-than-normal temp. As above, it could simply be heat-soak from sitting there.

If it were me, I'd start it and check that the fan noise diminishes not long after starting the engine, in which case it would suggest that everything is A-OK.

Registered

My 2015 Gen 2 has both a main radiator clutch fan driven off the motor and a dedicated electric fan that is biased to the right side of the radiator/condenser and is controlled by a temp sensor screwed in to the body of the AC condenser on the battery/passenger side. We have 2012 and 2015 Gen 2's and they both exhibit the signature startup fan roar that lasts 5 secs or so each and every time you start the vehicle. It is quite a roar but is apparently programmed in to the Gen 2 cooling control systems. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....all is good in the land of OZ.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Full speed means that AC has been requested, or that the ECT sensor is indicating a higher-than-normal temp. As above, it could simply be heat-soak from sitting there.

If it were me, I'd start it and check that the fan noise diminishes not long after starting the engine, in which case it would suggest that everything is A-OK.
MeToo,
Yes as I mentioned above, the fan noise diminishes after about 10 seconds ;) thank you so much for the reassurance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
My 2015 Gen 2 has both a main radiator clutch fan driven off the motor and a dedicated electric fan that is biased to the right side of the radiator/condenser and is controlled by a temp sensor screwed in to the body of the AC condenser on the battery/passenger side. We have 2012 and 2015 Gen 2's and they both exhibit the signature startup fan roar that lasts 5 secs or so each and every time you start the vehicle. It is quite a roar but is apparently programmed in to the Gen 2 cooling control systems. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....all is good in the land of OZ.

Question: you said EVERY time you start the vehicle? Hmm, Ill keep an eye to see if mine does that in the month to come, cause this only happens to me after long drives. I happen to have a video recording of the noise to see if its similar to yours! thank you for the response 馃槃

Registered
Question: you said EVERY time you start the vehicle? Hmm, Ill keep an eye to see if mine does that in the month to come, cause this only happens to me after long drives. I happen to have a video recording of the noise to see if its similar to yours! thank you for the response 馃槃
There was a lot of time for Nissan to make programming changes between 2006 and our 2012/2015 models so there is no telling what the start up scenario is between your 2006 and 2012. I expect the Gen2 stamp doesn't tell all.

Registered
5 seconds of sound from inside the cab suggests to me that it's not the fans.

It's more like a hum to my ears.

Where is the sound coming from, the speakers, somewhere near the heater blower motor, or somewhere else?

Next step is to move around the rig and find where the sound is the loudest.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
5 seconds of sound from inside the cab suggests to me that it's not the fans.

It's more like a hum to my ears.

Where is the sound coming from, the speakers, somewhere near the heater blower motor, or somewhere else?

Next step is to move around the rig and find where the sound is the loudest.
The sound can be heard from inside the cab, but that's how loud the sound is coming in from the outside. The problem is, it only happens for 5-10 seconds that it doesn't give me the chance to find where exactly its coming from... Im going to have to intentionally trigger this scenario and be ready with the hood open to check closer for the sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts