Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the cats let go in my truck and took out my engine.. its knocking and ticking, has been burning oil more and more, is down on power.. its done..

Obviously I need to get the doug throlley long tube headers that eliminate the cats, and I was thinking if I have to send the heads out to get rebuilt, I might as well throw in some performance cams in the bitch too.
only problem is which cams do I get and from where? I cant seem to remember what site it was that had them.
also, wheres a good website to order the rebuild kit from?
Hopefully I'll be tearing into the thing tomorrow after work.

Any other upgrades I should look into along the way? tips and tricks?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jim Wolf Technologies or 4x4parts.com (AC) have the cams you're looking for. I believe AC is just selling the JWT cams but I'm not 100% sure on that. There are a few people on here that have upgraded cams. I would say if you're taking it all apart go ahead do a tune up as well. Valve cover gaskets, knock sensor, plugs, etc. good luck! Looking forward to see where you go with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim Wolf Technologies or 4x4parts.com (AC) have the cams you're looking for. I believe AC is just selling the JWT cams but I'm not 100% sure on that. There are a few people on here that have upgraded cams. I would say if you're taking it all apart go ahead do a tune up as well. Valve cover gaskets, knock sensor, plugs, etc. good luck! Looking forward to see where you go with it.
Haha its got fresh plugs and knock sensor and valve cover gaskets.. I did that maybe 12k ago..
Im going for new rings and bearings hone the cylinder walls.. pulling out all the stops.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have any suggestions for which rebuild kit to order and from who? (im not sure whos reputable and good quality at this point)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, how long did the engine last? what mileage? Manual or automatic?
Its got 230Km (canadian) on it and 5spd manual..

The tech I had look at it after I couldn't figure out (i did use a "stethoscope" aka metal prybar to trace the worst of the ticking to my cats, but that didnt make enough sense to me) for a bad top end tick and major misfire figures the cat broke up internally and somehow debris went back into the head.

He did warn me a few months ago that its something to watch for.. (dont ignore your p0420/p0430 codes)

Man I'm pretty pumped to see what this engine with cam header and a fresh rebuild will be like. will be so nice to not have to worry about how much oil I'm going through anymore too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks. I always like to know how long xterra engines last even though yours seemed short lived. Have you checked your timing belt and tensioner? My xterra began to lose alot of power when I went past 105k without doing the belt job. However, it never ticked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will be following your rebuild closely as I have the same Engine and am over 200,000 km. Let me know where you are sourcing parts from in Canada as everyone seems to get things from the states.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I always like to know how long xterra engines last even though yours seemed short lived. Have you checked your timing belt and tensioner? My xterra began to lose alot of power when I went past 105k without doing the belt job. However, it never ticked.
timing belt was done 50k ago... it might not need rings or a bottom end rebuild, but if im having to decommission it for a while when they rebuild the heads im not just gunna have it sit there.. might as well go all out right.

I have been warned befeore that the cats can come apart and debris will get back into the heads so I guess dont ignore the p0420/p0430 codes for too long.. get headers right away and be done with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be following your rebuild closely as I have the same Engine and am over 200,000 km. Let me know where you are sourcing parts from in Canada as everyone seems to get things from the states.
yeah I really don't know where I'm gunna source parts from yet, but the cams and headers ill be getting from 4x4 parts.. sucks that our dollar is shit right now. Once i have the engine torn down and i know what size rings and bearings ill actually be needing i guess ill have to think about it a bit harder.. hoping someone can chime on on where to go for that pretty soon.

Ill hopefully get the motor pulled and on a stand by sunday, if life doesnt get in the way of me wrenchin on it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dang, I've got the equivalent of 255000 km on my 2003 SE SC. Just started to throw random misfire code and is getting new plugs, dist cap, rotor, and wires. Original plugs this far too!
Have had 2 cats done twice and 2 cats done once.
No whining now.... (or the only whining should be from a supercharger!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang, I've got the equivalent of 255000 km on my 2003 SE SC. Just started to throw random misfire code and is getting new plugs, dist cap, rotor, and wires. Original plugs this far too!
Have had 2 cats done twice and 2 cats done once.
No whining now.... (or the only whining should be from a supercharger!)
Make sure you get the proper NGK plugs that the manual calls for.
these things are known to chew up distributors and I wouldn't waste time with aftermarket dizzies, get an OEM replacement.

In other news.. Ive ordered the headers to replace the cats.. have decided to wait and see what my bottom end looks like if its gunna need a bunch of machining I probably shouldnt be buying new cams.. (especially since the toolbox im interested in just happened to come on sale the same week my engine grenaded)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Make sure you get the proper NGK plugs that the manual calls for.
these things are known to chew up distributors and I wouldn't waste time with aftermarket dizzies, get an OEM replacement.
No Whining now, I had the dealer do this one as I didn't want to hassle with getting that 6th spark plug out. Original Nissan seems to be the best specified wires and it has the platinum plugs too. Runs like a Swiss watch again!!

Please keep us posted on your rebuild progress with lots of pics. I wish I could go with the headers myself but CA smog laws will not allow.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No Whining now, I had the dealer do this one as I didn't want to hassle with getting that 6th spark plug out. Original Nissan seems to be the best specified wires and it has the platinum plugs too. Runs like a Swiss watch again!!

Please keep us posted on your rebuild progress with lots of pics. I wish I could go with the headers myself but CA smog laws will not allow.
Mines an 02 s/c with 235k take lots of pics
little bit of progress today

in to the shop it goes.

hey look its inside! good thing my toolbox has wheels.

pulled the intake and rads

Recovering the refrigerant, cause im legit like that.

not much else i took pics of thats interesting.. I pulled the starter, A/C compressor and a couple ac lines, unplugged a bunch or electrical shit, unbolted my ps pump. passenger side cat..
tomorrow I have to drop the front diff (I'm hoping that just dropping it will give me enough room to maneuver the engine out, since the oil sump hangs down so low..) and i gotta find a spot to pick the engine up from in the back passenger side since on the front i can just go off the AC compressor mount bracket (it looks beefy enough..)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having recently swapped the engine in a '95 pathfinder, I can tell you that you can pull the motor by just sliding the trans back far enough for the clutch to clear the bell housing. There is about an inch or so before the oil pan catches the diff. It will be tight but can be done. I'm pretty sure its the exact same in the Xterra.

I'm in the same boat as you engine wise. Not sure what killed mine as I bought it that way, but it has 190k on it. An early death for a VG as my 94 pathy has 428,000km and doesn't use ANY oil. Then again, it's not supercharged like my X. Mine is also a silver 5 speed like yours. Love the way it drives, not the way it eats oil though. My plan is just to get a low mileage used motor. I'm planning on using the NA longblock as they're more common and cheaper. And the higher compression ratio should give more power. I'm not planning on touching the boost so it should be fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got it out and the heads off it..
lots of piston movement in cyl 2 and 4, but amazingly all my cylinder walls look to be in great shape.. the cam also has chewed a hole in the back of the bank 2 cylinder head..

After I dropped the diff she came right out, they sure dont like to give ya anywhere to lift off of though..

Dont be ignoring those P0420/p0430 codes else this will happen to you

Got er on a stand and ready to strip down

Oh look this first causality.. Bank 2 cam decided to chew on my head a little bit...

Bank 2 head... eew

Bank 1 Head.. pretty normals

Cyl2 and 4 sure had a lot of play in em and they look gross

1 - 18 of 18 Posts