Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. I'm looking to get back into a 4x4 and I'm really considering getting an Xterra. I'm hoping someone can help me out with questions about them. I used to post whore on 4x4parts.com back in the day so someone should remember me, but if not ah well.

Little history for those that are interested. If not skip the next couple paragraphs and go to the one with my questions. =) in 95 I bought my first vehicle. It was a 91 Nissan D21 or "Hardbody" 4 Cyl 5 speed. Did a 3" BL and ran around with 31's for years until it was time for new times. So I went to 33's and did a 3" SL. Talk about a pig heh. Well I came across a 4x4 hardbody with a messed up body and missing an engine for stupid cheap. I picked it up, moved my body and engine over to it and had myself a 4x4 hardbody. Loved that thing.. I ended up burning up the transmission in a mud pit. Well sad to say the wife at the time (now ex) wouldn't allow me to spend the money to fix it cause she wanted me to put all my time and effort into her stupid bronco. So I parted it out and got rid of it. =( Long story short she's an ex wife and her bronco is long since been gutted and is gone. About a year ago I picked up a 94 2wd 4cyl 5 speed Hardbody and just love it. However I really want to get back into a 4x4 so the new wife said I should by one but I should "keep in mind" about the future and get a back seat for "family"

So I was thinking about going for an older bronco or Ford truck but since I love my hardbody so much I decided to just get a D21 Pathy.. Well after doing some reading for the past few days it seems the Xterra's have the same drivetrain as the Pathy's but with the "problems" worked out, better fuel economy and more power" So I'm now thinking that would be the way to go.

The plan is to get one "soon" and use it as a daily driver and some of the not crazy mountain trails in the national forests for awhile. During the next year or 2 I "plan" on getting the Calmini SAS kit, wagoneer axles and 35's with some lockers and turning it into more of a "toy" / "wheeler" I do not fab what so ever. I can bolt and unbolt things all day long but add some custom fab and I'm done and have to get someone to do it for me.

Anyhow.. enough of my novel.. I'm looking to only spend "around" 9k on a Xterra I want it to be Automatic so the wife can drive it. I will be searching the forums to try and find answers as well so I'm not a total "noob" but feel free to chirp away. If there are threads answering my questions please point me there and I'll read them.

1)What's the better route for me to take? A Gen 1 super charged or a Gen 2 Naturally Aspirated? From what I can find on google the Gen 2 NA's have more HP then the Gen 1 SC's. Is this a correct statement?
2) What common things should I look for when buying one of these? (I have read that the timing belts on Gen 1's really need to be done at 105k)
3) Is either Gen better for a "Trail" rig?
4) Does either Gen have better "aftermarket" support?
5) Should I steer clear of anything?

Thanks in advance.. Sorry for the novel and questions. I've been reading so much it all seems to just run together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I could edit my posts.. I guess the Gen 2's are at risk of the nasty SMOD. Concerns me to spend almost 10 grand on something just to have this happen cost me another 5 or 6 k. hmm

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a1st gen, but wasn't there a recall or tech bulletin or something about the smod issue on gen 2s? I could be wrong but i thought I'd heard that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a1st gen, but wasn't there a recall or tech bulletin or something about the smod issue on gen 2s? I could be wrong but i thought I'd heard that...
From everything I read the dealer did replace the trans/radiator ect if it was within a certain mileage / year but that time has since passed. If what I'm reading is correct, if I can find a 2005 with without the SMOD then I can just do the bypass the radiator in the trans cooler lines. Seems it takes longer to take off the skid plate then it does to change the hoses. So basically I need to find out what tools are needed and if I find a good one I should bypass it before I even drive home to "make sure"

I'd like a Gen 2. I like the look of the front end better and like the side step to at the rear. Plus the extra horsepower would be nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well got my ducks in a row, Got my money sitting in the bank ready to buy.. Now comes the hard part and finding one I like in the price range.. I'm going for a 2005+ model.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you want to avoid SMOD on a second gen then buy a 08+ model. I believe those models were cured of SMOD. welcome to the club.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you want to avoid SMOD on a second gen then buy a 08+ model. I believe those models were cured of SMOD. welcome to the club.
From what I could find it was 2010+

or buy stick :p
Good answer, however I've learned wheeling in a stick isn't as fun as wheeling in an automatic.

I just picked up a 2007 with 112k miles on it yesterday. The radiator fluid looked nice and green. Went on a 30 ish minute test drive and the fluid was still pretty and green. Transmission seemed to shift perfectly. I couldn't take it home last night because I didn't have anyone to drive my truck home. So they are going to deliver it to me tonight or tomorrow. Also they said if it has any issues why they are delivering it then I'm not responsible for the repairs. This helps because I'm 45 miles from that dealership. Also I have an extended warranty from my credit union. 12 months or 12,000 miles so If the dealership was able to hide anything it should surface itself by then. As soon as they drop it off I'll pull it into the garage and bypass the radiator just to be on the safe side. =)

I will say the Xterra is bigger then I thought it would be. Felt comfy.. First thing I want to do is add the fog lights to it. It's the S model so it "should" have all the wiring. I would just need the lights and the switch if I'm correct.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well don't bypass the radiator bypass the trans cooler :p
(Sarcasm hard to show in type)

As for stick vs auto that will be an argument till the end of time.
I for sure have dragged more broken automatic rigs off the trails after a failed attempt at getting them selfs unstuck.

But there is definitely a benefit of not rolling back ontake off and a lot less working the clutch leg. But I like my stick on the trails it's why I bought the X it's hard to find a true 4 door with a manual and selectable 4wd anymore :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you here.

Tony
Thanks!

Well don't bypass the radiator bypass the trans cooler :p
(Sarcasm hard to show in type)

As for stick vs auto that will be an argument till the end of time.
I for sure have dragged more broken automatic rigs off the trails after a failed attempt at getting them selfs unstuck.

But there is definitely a benefit of not rolling back ontake off and a lot less working the clutch leg. But I like my stick on the trails it's why I bought the X it's hard to find a true 4 door with a manual and selectable 4wd anymore :/

Sticks are so nice to drive.. However my last manual 4x4 I smoked the trans heh, but then again I was beating it to hell in a mud pit. That and my wife wanted to be able to drive it now and then. Also in Southern California traffic a stick isn't very fun =( As for being hard to find.. No joke. A buddy of mine searched forever but finally ended up with s 2015 Xterra 4wd with a manual trans.

I was hoping to have my X tonight but the dealer said they had no porters to follow the salesman back so We're looking at tomorrow. (They better not be pulling any funny business)

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Two words, Fj Cruiser, my next 4x4.
Used Fj Cruisers in 4x4 with 200,000 miles can still get upward of 20k.
Even the 2wd still pull good money with high mileage, built like tanks.
Find a good deal on one, buy it. Not saying I don't like Xterras. If the Fj Cruiser had been around in 2000......

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ah buffalo has no traffic that's probably why I like stick, and my wife loves the stick as well ;) she drives a 6 speed twin turbo Audi.

Makes the choice easy for me.

And @TBass I am a mechanic, I worked at Lexus/Toyota dealer. And as much of a yota fan boy as I have been in the past (had a crazy 1jz 5speed Cressida)
I can't love the FJ, the drive train is fine I like it overall, the look of the truck is pretty awesome, some of the features are pretty neat the extra gauges, the trail lights on the mirrors...
But the half doors and the blind spots kill it for me, I really struggled putting them on and off my lift getting them in and out of the shop, if I had that much trouble in a well lit shop I can't imagine a dark trail. And I really love the full rear doors, I take passengers all the time it's why I don't drive a wrangler.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If I could go back I would have ponied up and got a Toyota. They offer way better aftermarket, more power and are easier to work on. Check out early 2000s 4Runners. My Dad has a '97 with 354k on the clock... outside of routine maintenance, he's replaced a fuel pump and that is about it. They also come with e-lockers.

My 2000 Frontier seems to be broken all the time at just over 100k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts