Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at xterras forever and I have wanted one for a while now. I know the 05-07 aren’t good with the transmission issues. So should I shoot for the older models( 01-04) or the newer models(08-present). Also trying to figure out how long xterras usually last milage wise as I haven’t got any great answers yet. If you could peep and help me out that’d be great!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,658 Posts
The 2005-2009 were the ones that suffered from SMOD. If they're still on the road at this point, it's most likely that everything is fine by now, either repaired or replaced as needed.

My 2001 and 2004 have a little over 200,ooo miles. Others on here have over 300,ooo miles.

No matter what, you just have to inspect the vehicle you're interested in. Both of mine are different enough that I'm gonna be selling my 2001 before too long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rad the milage is what concerns me the 2011 has 130k miles and the 04 only has 60k does the xterra usually kick it for long after that or should I shoot for the lower milage?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,658 Posts
My '04 has more than both of those combined, as does my '01.

I'd love an '04 with only 60K, but I'd probably go for the 2011 since it's 7 years newer, bigger, stronger engine, other features that you might like.

Gen1 uses timing belt, needs replaced every 105,ooo miles.

Gen2 uses timing chains, good for very, very long time.

Can't make your decision for you, but if you drag your feet, someone else is gonna get both of 'em.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 2005-2009 were the ones that suffered from SMOD. If they're still on the road at this point, it's most likely that everything is fine by now, either repaired or replaced as needed.

My 2001 and 2004 have a little over 200,ooo miles. Others on here have over 300,ooo miles.

No matter what, you just have to inspect the vehicle you're interested in. Both of mine are different enough that I'm gonna be selling my 2001 before too long.

What is smod?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’ve been looking at xterras forever and I have wanted one for a while now. I know the 05-07 aren’t good with the transmission issues. So should I shoot for the older models( 01-04) or the newer models(08-present). Also trying to figure out how long xterras usually last milage wise as I haven’t got any great answers yet. If you could peep and help me out that’d be great!
I'm partial to older X's 2000-2004 4x4, I don't need lockers with my 43 years 4x4 experience I go most any place I want!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts