Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I need help with a problem. The story goes like this. In my infinite wisdom I was spraying the engine compartment with a pressure washer to try and clean it up a little. So I am really trying to be careful not to soak the distributor and I am staying pretty far away. The engine is running but I didnt take it for a drive to dry it out properly. So I get the orange light of Hades blinking at me the next day. Then it goes away. And comes back, not bad just a little sputter. Then comes back with a VENGEANCE. So I wiggle everything and start taking sensors off to look for corrosion and moisture. Interesting fact, the TPS needs to be in a certain place for the engine to operate correctly. Anyway so far I have replaced the cap and rotor, and the TPS sensor. I used the XBible (FSM) to get it back in the right spot and now it drives fine but at idle or under 1000 rpms she just shudders like a wet dog. Misfiring and throwing the knock sensor. My beast of burden is a 2002 with at, no s/c, and 67,000 miles. 3.3L 4wd. Sedona So sorry about the book I tried to make it somewhat amusing...any ideas?

·
3,732 Posts
Welcome to the club.
All I can suggest is looking for any loose wires or hoses. Your air filter isn't soaking wet is it?
Two things I've learned; just leave it dirty but if you have to wash the engine compartment do it by hand as even using low pressure from a hose I managed to kill the horns on mine. I'm sure one of our ace mechanics will offer up some advice.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I can almost garunteeeeee that you have a bunch of water pooling around the spark plugs and causing them to short out.

Try using compressed air to blow the water out.

Di-electric grease is also your friend, pack all of the conections that you can get to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been a few weeks since I washed it. All I can think of is I didnt reset the Throttle Positioning Sensor correctly. I did it twice though. Even used a watch the second time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just went threw the same thing. But washed it with a garden hose. I'm having a felling pull the plug wires blow them out. blow out the little holes with compressed air. maybe check the plugs if they are fouled. I had 4 out of 6 fouled

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
I'm guessing that you didn't reset base timing?

Anyway, The two problems could be unrelated.....

Did you have a code for the misfire (When it blinks you are getting a missfire)? I am looking for a specific cylinder # or possibly a random misfire code.

Either way, I am guessing that base timing was not set. A good practice is to put some dielectric grease on the distributor cap gasket as a seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will check the wires and plugs when I get back West. Quite a few people think thats it and silly me I didnt check that first. So thank you for the suggestions and the greetings! I really appreciate it. From what someone was saying, the steam and water will get trapped in the boots even if it seems dry. Makes sense since it was raining pretty good lately and she was really acting up, but driving almost normal when it was drier. I do enjoy working c on that Xterra. Maybe I will get to replace the Catalytic converters next (shudder). I need to reset the base timing after I change the rotor and cap? You mean for the TPS? Turning the key and waiting and turn and wait repeat 20 times?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plugs and wires.

Plugs and wires was the problem. Not an easy task, but not impossible. Took about 45mins for no 6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts