Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, firstly I want to say I love my X, I would repair it before buying a different one. It's a '00 4X4 automatic transmission with LSD, Lokka, new exhaust, , 31x10.50 Buckshots ect...the point is I've blead, sweeted, and cried over this thing. No matter if it cost more to repair than buying a different one I'm keeping my baby. I'm sure some of you feel the same.

So here are my issues I'm having, any help would be greatly appreciated! Issue no. 1 while in drive and accelerating between 2000 to 2500 RPM I hear a rattling, when I through it in neutral and rev the engine to the same RPMs I hear nothing. I gather that it's probably my transmission getting ready to go but I'm not sure. Issue no. 2 I replaced my brake pads fairly recently. After an off road adventure there is a grinding from the driverside that I feel in the steering wheel while pressing the brakes. I have completely disassembled the entire wheel assembly down to the cv axle and the is no signs of mud or damage of any kind. Lasts issue is while cruising on the interstate there is a whining sound and when accelerating uphill there is a squealing noise coming from the engine bay.

It's like I said anything anyone can tell me would be great. Keep in mind I am not getting rid of my baby for anything, so if that is your advice don't bother commenting. Thanks everyone for your time and advice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The rattle sound you hear is probably the heat sheild. In neutral try revving it to 3000rpms or so the harmonics are different with and without a load on the motor(ie being in gear). If its a tin-ish metallic sound and is duplicated at higher rev with no load its the heat sheild. Solution... cut it off the rest of the way.

The second issue needs a bit more detail for me. What does the pedel feel like? Can you describe the grinding? Is it like REALLY bad brakes grinding sound? Is there pull to either side?

third as simple as it is double check you belts and tensioners. If you recently changed the alt or ps. It could be just as simple as its not tight enough.

Hope this helped....good luck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
X2 on 1 and 3 problems. On the second, is there any roughness or rust on the edge of the rotor? If there is it would cause the problem maybe. I'm also wondering if the rotor is maybe warped. It would cause a pulse in the wheel when braking and would be hard to see. Couple of ideas to check. I'd be inclined to think small rock caught in the rotor or worn pads. But you've had it apart so you'd see worn pads or see a rock. So I'm not certain. Not much help sorry.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Send it to the crusher!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts