Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Front Parking Brake Cable in my 2002 Xterra broke and I have not found a replacement. Original part number was 36402-8Z300, superceded by 36402-8Z301. It is a sheathed steel cable with a metal "T" crimped on one end and a threaded bolt crimped on the other end. Would anyone have one in good condition that I could purchase? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,958 Posts
The Front Parking Brake Cable in my 2002 Xterra broke and I have not found a replacement. Original part number was 36402-8Z300, superceded by 36402-8Z301. It is a sheathed steel cable with a metal "T" crimped on one end and a threaded bolt crimped on the other end. Would anyone have one in good condition that I could purchase? Thanks.
OEM '02-'04 Nissan Xterra / Frontier Parking Brake Release Cable - WD22 Parts - Z1 Off-Road - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader Nissan Truck & SUV (z1offroad.com)
You could check to see if they have one in stock. $30

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,958 Posts
Thank you, that cable is close, but the website says that part doesn't fit a 2002 SE 6 Cyl 3.3L
You might even be able to repair your broken cable assembly by using some braided cable from the hardware store and some aluminum crimp pieces for the cable. Might be able to crimp a splice in at the break depending on what you have. Garage door cable might be a possible source.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might even be able to repair your broken cable assembly by using some braided cable from the hardware store and some aluminum crimp pieces for the cable. Might be able to crimp a splice in at the break depending on what you have. Garage door cable might be a possible source.
It's looking more and more like modifying the existing pieces may be my only option. It could get messy but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,958 Posts
It's looking more and more like modifying the existing pieces may be my only option. It could get messy but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate all the help from everyone.
If you have enough adjustment left in the cable, you may even be able to do a "overlap" grimp joint with the existing broken cable.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,531 Posts
Thank you, that cable is close, but the website says that part doesn't fit a 2002 SE 6 Cyl 3.3L
Just because they say it doesn't fit doesn't mean it won't. You can always send it back and all you're out is shipping so long as it's not a lot of dough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have enough adjustment left in the cable, you may even be able to do a "overlap" grimp joint with the existing broken cable.
I'm not sure that I have enough overall length left, I have to check. The break was right at the crimped threaded bolt, so there is really nothing to crimp to at that point. I will have to get another bolt and fasten it to the cable. The original cable is still inside the sheathing, I haven't removed it yet.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,958 Posts
I'm not sure that I have enough overall length left, I have to check. The break was right at the crimped threaded bolt, so there is really nothing to crimp to at that point. I will have to get another bolt and fasten it to the cable. The original cable is still inside the sheathing, I haven't removed it yet.
Sounds like a bloody handful there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts