Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Lokka

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  RB1kanobe 
#1 ·
thinking about a lokka for the front diff. any draw backs to an auto locker . Any pros and cons would be help full .

#2 ·
For the 2000 - 2004 X's, everyone who has the Lokka upfront LOVES IT.

I don't know 2005+ X people with it.

#3 ·
Pros: go more places, less strain and damage to the front end, can still turn easily, and makes the diff stronger.

Cons: spend money to buy one, cost you more money if you do not do it yourself, and can get you in more trouble if you do not know what you are doing offroad.

#4 ·
No cons.
Best mod I'd done up to that point.

#5 ·
Can someone please explain to me what 'Lokka' is ?

#6 ·
Can someone please explain to me what 'Lokka' is ?
Lokka is an auto locking differential. It takes the place of your spider gears in the diff. Sometimes called a lunchbox locker.

#7 ·
#8 ·
#11 ·
Why are manual hubs required? I don't mind changing over, but I'm just wondering...
Their not. I'm still running autos and they work just fine.

#13 ·
The manual hubs aren't required. I swapped them out in favour of manual ones because my auto hubs were 14 years old and if both of them ended up sticking on it would really suck driving on icy roads because even in two wheel drive your front wheels would be locked together and make it more difficult to turn. I put them in to make sure the front wheels were disengaged when I wanted them to be.

#14 ·
Im glad to hear others are running the auto hubs, I just picked up a lokka off a board member and was planning to run the autos maybe pick up manuals down the road for trail spares....

Some said in snowy climites its nice to be able to only lock one hub...

and i just noticed the 2 running them are Florida and Alabama so might be a different story up here in the snow.

#17 ·
Have not had a chance since I put it in this year. RobcaryNC has ran it in the snow.

I Know my OEM LSD will stay locked up on black ice bridges (2000 my with highest BAT of 1st Gens). Only testing somewhat close so far for me has been wet red clay. Made it through that with being able to turn in a controlled fashion. Setting the Lokka up correctly will dictate how well it locks and unlocks. Getting it gapped correctly and evenly on both sides of the pinion so the one side does not try to stay locked on you. That is where most people run into trouble. Then people say it is horrible in winter weather conditions. Do not forget that tires do make a difference. Might get to test it out this weekend if it rains & snows a little this weekend that they are forcasting. If it does; I will give you an update on here. I grew up on one of the Canadian border States. I know the miles of black ice, slick packed snow, ice covered snow, ice, & hills to go with it. I understand your concern. I do not drive like the idiots down here. I let them crash and abandoned their cars on the road so you cannot make it down most of the roads like they did a couple years ago here.

#18 ·
Using it in the snow is no problem, I've done it. The issue is when you are driving at faster speeds on icy surfaces it makes it more difficult to turn. It's better to have an open diff in those situations. It just won't unlock if it's really slippery/icy so it almost forces a tire or two to lose traction. When you are driving in deeper snow you typically aren't driving as fast.

#19 ·
i was thinking if you had manual hubs you could unlock one an it would act like an open diff. most said though, that as long as your not on the throttle turning... (drifting) in 4wd your fine. otherwise you can get understeer.

#20 ·
I was in the last lokka group buy, installed it myself along with a diff drop kit, off road they are amazing it doesnt feel out of the norm and it just let me 'goannawear'
the only down side ive noticed is that if you use it on dry pavement it pulls the car a really good amount, although as stated in other posts prior to me purchasing, the 4wd isn't meant to really be used on dry pavement even before the lokka, the other thing I have noticed at least while driving in Colorado roads this snowy winter, is that when i'm letting my foot off the gas i can actually feel the lokka disengage as its suppose to similar to if i was turning and releasing the throttle but when you give it gas again and it re-engages it gives a little tug to the side,
Overall i'm really happy with it, I got it for off road and when it comes to that it does exactly what they say it does, its a great bang for the buck, it doesnt take much of a rotation to engage or disengage when going from 2wd to 4wd.

#21 ·
Lokka = awesome. You saw my review video above about driving in the snow.

Manual hubs are a bonus. It can be tough to turn is very tight situations. Manual hubs allow you to unlock one so you aren't "locked", but it allows you to turn easier. I ultimately switched to manuals, but that was because my auto lockers didn't like to disengage properly, and the Lokka made it evident since one wheel with a stuck auto locker would drive the other wheel and make it ratchet randomly. That was an issue with my hubs, not the Lokka though.

Install thread in my signature. best mod ever.

#22 ·
Well, you should not be driving fast on icy and slippery snow packed surfaces in the first place. Only carbides & studs on a sled will respond quickly in those conditions. Conditions are looking like the roads will icy over here this weekend. Hopefully I can get a solid answer myself.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
question with a 3 inch suspension lift what happens if you don't drop the diff when you put the lokka on will I just casue more wear and tear on cv if so like a ton or just faster than normal.

With or without an ARB or Lokka, dropping the diff relives the CV angles.

The lift kits have more down travel, so, increase the cv angles at full droop.

Its not a "ton"more, etc...its just operating at a more acute angle, where its weaker, WHEN drooped.

So, on the road, etc...no added wear you'd notice.

#25 ·
Ran it with just the 3"SL and no diff drop before the Lokka. I would still be the lead man on the trails with legend869 while he had his Lokka with diff drop and PML. I had to work more than him and with my longer travel of my 3" SL; I had zero issues. My current 3" SL has even more travel than anyone else up front except the TC long travel guys. Still zero issues. I also do not beat the crap out of mine either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.