Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 40" led light bar for Christmas. I've seen people on here mount them on the roof rails behind the basket but they stick out a bit on the sides so I've been trying to figure something else out. My boss (a jeep guy) recommended putting it on the hood but..... Wouldn't that be pretty bright and like, be right in my face? My other thought would be at the bottom of the wind dam but since the bracket bolts are 43.5" apart, it's not exactly a smooth surface (the humps from the roof bars are in the way) and there may not be tough room underneath for the bolt heads.

Anyway, thoughts? I love the bar but it's so big I'm pretty limited.

Oh ya, 2004 xe

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had a 40" on my jeep WJ, 40" is to big for the X :( i tried to reuse my old one when someone totaled my jeep. couldn't find anywhere that looked right! let me know if you found a good way to mount it without looking wonky!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you love your truck, don't drill into your body panels. Mount it on a roof rack or something.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you love your truck, don't drill into your body panels. Mount it on a roof rack or something.
If you do it right and water proof everything you have nothing to worry about. It's an 04 like mine, 12 year old truck. No risk in modding it a little...or a lot lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you do it right and water proof everything you have nothing to worry about. It's an 04 like mine, 12 year old truck. No risk in modding it a little...or a lot lol
My point was that it's not a reversible modification. Even if you fill and paint, that panel still has a hole in it.. filled with resin.

To each his own!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i get your point but I'm drilling through my roof. The other options i saw seemed way more prone to leaking than a properly done, waterproof plug. I'm not worried about removing it ever. If i DO ever sell my x, a professional looking install would be a selling point. Wires running under the seals wouldnt, but would probably be removable. Like you said, to each his own. But as long as it's done properly, there is little risk of any problems, I've run wires in my parents boat that were waterproof (after just watching a YouTube video, never done any wiring or waterproofing). With the right equipment, it's pretty simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts