Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Xterra with 132,000 miles. When I let off the gas the oil gauge dropped so we replaced the oil pump. It's a bit better but still not right. Then we were told we probably need a to replace the lifters or just use heavier oil. We've tried the heavier oil but sometimes the oil gauge drops and you can feel an odd vibration and/or a rattle feeling from the motor. When you rev it up it's fine. Any suggestions or is it time to replace the motor?

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,849 Posts
By far the most common cause of low oil pressure on these engines is failed gaskets in the rear timing cover. Some places I believe sell replacement gaskets but I more often replace the rear cover because I’ve had bad experiences removing the screws and I’m not sure the nissan parts catalog even lists them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By far the most common cause of low oil pressure on these engines is failed gaskets in the rear timing cover. Some places I believe sell replacement gaskets but I more often replace the rear cover because I’ve had bad experiences removing the screws and I’m not sure the nissan parts catalog even lists them.
I can check into that but I'm not leaking any oil.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
I can check into that but I'm not leaking any oil.
Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub
Page EM-55 is a diagram illustrating timing chain area parts and pieces. Item #23 is your rear timing chain case/cover that contains the gaskets referenced by Blackberry.
The actual physical gaskets are illustrated in this following link:
Nissan Xterra 4.0L Rear Timing Cover Oil Gallery Gasket Kit - N50 Parts - Z1 Off-Road - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader Nissan Truck & SUV (z1offroad.com)

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
Ah okay. That makes sense. We'll look into that. Thank you so much for your help.
Thought you might need a pointer to where it was at. When Blackberry first talked about it in another post I didn't know where the rear cover was located and he pointed me in the right direction. He's a Nissan master mechanic so he knows these things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Xterra with 132,000 miles. When I let off the gas the oil gauge dropped so we replaced the oil pump. It's a bit better but still not right. Then we were told we probably need a to replace the lifters or just use heavier oil. We've tried the heavier oil but sometimes the oil gauge drops and you can feel an odd vibration and/or a rattle feeling from the motor. When you rev it up it's fine. Any suggestions or is it time to replace the motor?
We have a 2001 6 cylinder Xterra where the oil light came on, and had low oil pressure. We found out the oil pick up tube screen was clogged. We had it cleaned, and there is no more problems.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oil pressure is usually associated with bad main bearings, at 132k miles for a Nissan that's not much at all unless oil was rarely or never changed and ruined the main bearings! The vibration maybe a bad crankshaft. I did my 2002 oil pan gasket, not easy, but to pull pan and check main bearing tolerances?

·
Registered
2009 4WD A/T w/X trim
26 Posts
When you get around to changing the oil after you figure out this problem, I recommend as the first quart you pour into your engine, you do a quart of Hy-Per-Lube. Been using it on every Nissan I've owned since the 80's. It works. It's a petroleum product that does what it says. Simple as that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When you get around to changing the oil after you figure out this problem, I recommend as the first quart you pour into your engine, you do a quart of Hy-Per-Lube. Been using it on every Nissan I've owned since the 80's. It works. It's a petroleum product that does what it says. Simple as that.
View attachment 80143
View attachment 80143
If it quiets noise lifters and or vibrations stop, good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts