Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on doing a 3" body lift on my 2002 x. What is the largest sized tires I'd be able to ride on? I'm hoping on being able to use some 33s but I am not sure. What do you think? Any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
621 Posts
Still a bit of trimming for a 3 inch with 35s. You wont rub at regular height but under flex you will. And 35 would be too much for stock gearing. My dads jeep on 35s with a pentastar v6 (285 ponys) is a gutless dog on take off. My x with 31s eats it alive from a dead stop. Re gearing would be needed pretty bad.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So I could fit 34s and 35s without too much trimming needed?
Still a bit of trimming for a 3 inch with 35s. You wont rub at regular height but under flex you will. And 35 would be too much for stock gearing. My dads jeep on 35s with a pentastar v6 (285 ponys) is a gutless dog on take off. My x with 31s eats it alive from a dead stop. Re gearing would be needed pretty bad.
Correct, for 35s a good bit of trimming will still be necessary. Along with regearing, needing to strengthen the steering set up to avoid issues down the road, and I'm sure there's a lot more; 35s on our IFS tend to cause a domino effect of issues.

After calculating cost and continuous labor with 35s and IFS the only way my X will see 35s is with a SAS (Solid Axel Swap) up front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, for 35s a good bit of trimming will still be necessary. Along with regearing, needing to strengthen the steering set up to avoid issues down the road, and I'm sure there's a lot more; 35s on our IFS tend to cause a domino effect of issues.

After calculating cost and continuous labor with 35s and IFS the only way my X will see 35s is with a SAS (Solid Axel Swap) up front.
Well what about this, with three three inch bl and 33 inch tires, under flex, there should be little to no rub right? Especially with some plastic trimmed

·
Registered
621 Posts
3 inch is fine for 33s. 2 inch bl with 33s is also fine. 35s if you have a properly setup suspension is good. Grassroots kit with heavy duty tie rods you would be alright as far as the front end goes with wearing.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,028 Posts
Anything over a 33" on the IFS front, no matter what mods are done, is going to eat parts and require constant maintenance. The tinker toy IFS front we have will not stand up to 35"s.

Want to run 35"s? Do an SAS first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts