Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished installing LED dash lights. Part of the install is included a circuit that will turn the meter illumination on high any time the key is on and will revert to the dimmer setting when the headlights are turned on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That looks great! I was wondering how you got them to look so white, because the speedo-card-thing has blue tint on the back, so that when the incandescent lights where in there, it looked more white. I installed white LED's, but that of course have it a slightly blue tint. How did you get around that?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some bulbs use a blue filter on the bulb but the cluster has a blue filter as part of the gauge face. So I used 6000k bulbs for the A/C controls and shifter and used 3000k bulbs for the cluster. It’s a pretty close match and came out looking nice. I’m a fan so far of the cluster lights coming on full brightness with the key on because everyone knows these gauges can be hard to read at dusk

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's great you got them to match so well, I figured it would be difficult to get it looking good. Nice work!

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
218 Posts
Some bulbs use a blue filter on the bulb but the cluster has a blue filter as part of the gauge face. So I used 6000k bulbs for the A/C controls and shifter and used 3000k bulbs for the cluster. It’s a pretty close match and came out looking nice. I’m a fan so far of the cluster lights coming on full brightness with the key on because everyone knows these gauges can be hard to read at dusk
Are all of the LEDs the same?

My Rear Defrost illumination is gone. I took the switch out, disassembled it, and discovered a 3mm bulb dipped in blue goo. I'm getting ready to find and order some 3mm LEDs and start replacing mine as I have the time and desire.

How many LEDs did it take - under 20, or more than 20?

Top row:
Switch body sitting on top of the innards. Tiny screwdriver to lift the rubber holder off the terminals.

Second row:
Size comparison of the bulb and other common items. Caliper showing diameter as 3mm or 0.120". (Length is 6.5mm or 0.245".)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn’t change bulbs for anything but illumination. Put 2 in the cluster, two in the ac controls and one in the shifter. I also did the turn signal indicators and high beam indicator because I had extra. I didn’t go through all the switches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts