Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so with this awesome holiday coming up, I am going to be asking for a few goodies for my X.

One thing I am wanting to get is an LED light bar, but I am having troubles deciding/figuring out a correct/proper length. My X is a 2004 and I will be mounting using homemade brackets that I am going to attach to the screws/bolts by the wind difuser on the roof rack.

My question is, What length should I get? At first I was thinking 40" but then I thought a bit smaller might be better, say somewhere around the 36-38" range. any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you recommend another way of mounting that doesn't require drilling into the roof, please let me know

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a 40" on my 04 and I think it looks great, can't go wrong with LEDs and usually bigger is better! I also did not drill into the roof. Just past the plastic "wind shield" thing I bolted a 2" wide and about 43" long piece of steel onto the roof rack. Then I simply bolted the light bar onto that with the mounts that came with it. Works great and doesn't move at all (I've taken it up to 85 mph).
If you want any close up shots let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks man. Could you show some pics of how you mounted? And is yours spot+flood? And if so, how well does it work being that high?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Awesome, thanks man. Could you show some pics of how you mounted? And is yours spot+flood? And if so, how well does it work being that high?
No problem! Yah they're floods+spot and they light up everything great. I just took a few washers to raise up the mounts that way I could angle it down a bit. Just use bigger washers and it still doesn't move at all.
If you need any different angle pictures of the mounting let me know! Or if you want any of them lit up let me know and I'll take some ASAP.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind me asking. Is that an amazon bar? Looks just like one I have been looking at. And if so did you take it apart and seal it with silicone?

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you don't mind me asking. Is that an amazon bar? Looks just like one I have been looking at. And if so did you take it apart and seal it with silicone?
No its from LED Warehouse. There's come already water and dust resistant so I haven't done anything to it. A lot of them look similar.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
i put mine in front of wind shield put bar across and mounted then plasti dipped hood because yellow reflects the light needed sun glasses even at night

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pictures guys!! I think I am going to ask for an amazon knockoff for Christmas. I know you get what you pay for, but the reviews are all good. And the only complaints are from people who didn't seal them with silicone. I also have 2 4" led floods that I put on my wishlist to put on my Brush guard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Back at ya man!!

Hey I have one more question, and don't want to make a new thread lol. Like with every vehicle I owned, I am going to put HiD's in the X. The only thing is, is it doesn't have projectors. I have looked around online, and I can't believe I can't find any aftermarket projector headlights for it. I am assuming my only option is to retrofit projectors into my current housings. My question, is do you know difficult it is to do that? and do you know how much time it takes? Thanks in advance

Edit: Im actually going to start a new thread.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Back at ya man!!

Hey I have one more question, and don't want to make a new thread lol. Like with every vehicle I owned, I am going to put HiD's in the X. The only thing is, is it doesn't have projectors. I have looked around online, and I can't believe I can't find any aftermarket projector headlights for it. I am assuming my only option is to retrofit projectors into my current housings. My question, is do you know difficult it is to do that? and do you know how much time it takes? Thanks in advance

Edit: Im actually going to start a new thread.
Yah sorry I haven't looked into that at all really. If I find something I'll find that thread and let you know!

·
Registered
787 Posts
ThompsonXTerra where did you run the cable from the light bar into the cab?
From the light I ran the wire down the rubber on the inside of the passenger side door, then theres a space in the body where I ran it into the engine bay and hooked it to the battery. Then I ran it over to the driver side then through that same space in the body. On the side of the dash theres an air vent only visible when you open the door; I ran the wire though that to get into the dash and wired it to the switch.
That might be a little confusing, hard to explain over text, so if you want pictures let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A picture of the wire going from outside to in the cab would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2011 so I don't know if it will work the same but it would be awesome to get an idea

·
Registered
223 Posts
Has anyone ever mounted their LED bars on the front bumper? How did it turn out? I don't want the glare off my hood with mounting it on top and also I have a 50" sitting around which is too wide for the too but would work well on the bumper. Just wondering if it will be too much down low

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
787 Posts
Has anyone ever mounted their LED bars on the front bumper? How did it turn out? I don't want the glare off my hood with mounting it on top and also I have a 50" sitting around which is too wide for the too but would work well on the bumper. Just wondering if it will be too much down low

Never seen a 50" done on an xterra. There's this guy who I believe has a 20" on his bumper if this gives you any ideas.
In my opinion I think it would look pretty sweet with a 50" down there! It'll be a lot of light for sure lol

Also, is it a curved or straight 50"? I feel like a straight one might not fit since the bumper curves a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Never seen a 50" done on an xterra. There's this guy who I believe has a 20" on his bumper if this gives you any ideas.
In my opinion I think it would look pretty sweet with a 50" down there! It'll be a lot of light for sure lol

Also, is it a curved or straight 50"? I feel like a straight one might not fit since the bumper curves a little.

It has a slight curve but not much, I'm doing a custom bumper though so I thought I might recess it into the bumper. Guess I'll have to mock it up and see how it looks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts