Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the dome lights in my 2004 xterra with LEDs. They are a lot brighter and so far I love them except for one thing. When I shut the car off and lock it the dome lights are supposed to turn off but they stay very, very dimly lit. Like its hardly noticeable unless you look closely.

I have the switch in auto on/off.
I'm wondering if because they take so little power to run that they just stay on since there is always a little power running through the car?
It has not killed my battery (yet) so I'm just looking for some answers. Is my theory correct? Do I have anything to worry about?

Also when I put the switch in the off position they shut completely off.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
is it a product of LED and the dim-to-dark feature after you exit the vehicle? I have a 2006 and the lights dim out after you exit & lock it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it a product of LED and the dim-to-dark feature after you exit the vehicle? I have a 2006 and the lights dim out after you exit & lock it.
Yes I bought the LED "bulbs" off Amazon, and I'm talking about the dim to dark feature. The original bulbs would turn all the way off after locking the vehicle, but now the LEDs stay very dimly light after locking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. After about 30 minutes of research it seems to be a resistance problem. Incandescant bulbs have a much higher resistance than LED's. So the power that is pretty much always connected to the bulb is enough to keep it "ghosting" on. I have seen some people used 1w/1000 ohm or 1kohm/ 1/8th watt resistors (like 2$ at radio shack) and then soldered them to the wires on the bulbs. Seems doing this to one set of bulbs introduces enough resistance to stop the ghosting effect. Though I will be looking into it more before i solder anything to the dome lights. If i do it I will post a write up in the DIY section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I have some courtesy led strips on my X and they sometimes stay dimly lit, too. LEDs require almost NO POWER to light up so the stock dome light circuit is always going to give them enough power to stay dimly lit.

And I have ~3 feet of courtesy led strips and I've left my X sitting for a week or so without any battery issues, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep same thing here just installed them, your right though there's always power running through the car and the leds require hardly any power that's why they always stay lit. Using a resistor eats up that power making the led go out. I just left mine alone haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2003 xterra. I asked my electrician friend about it and he said that I have to buy LEDs with built in resistors. I'm having a hard time finding them in that size but he also said he could build some, so if I can't find any I'll be looking into building some. If I find any I'll let you know. If I build them I'll make a video and post the link here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far I haven't had any problems with any other LED lights. Keep in mind, if you live in a cold climate, LEDs do not produce enough heat to melt snow/ice so fog light or headlight LEDs aren't the greatest

·
Registered
4 Posts
I camp in my Xterra, sleeping in the back, and noticed the LED dome lights stayed dimly lit after I turned them off. Intially I was really disappointed however they do go completely out after a while, my guess about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I decided to leave my dome lights on the auto setting over night to see if it would effect my battery and in the morning I noticed they went out completely. At first I thought they killed my battery but they didn't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
here is what the 2006 Xterra service manual says:
Interior Lamp Battery Saver Control
If interior lamp is left ON, it will not be turned off even when door is closed.
BCM turns off interior lamp automatically to save battery 30 minutes after ignition switch is turned off.
BCM controls interior lamps listed below:
 Vanity lamp (with vanity lamps)
 Front room/map lamp
 Room lamp 2nd row
 Ignition keyhole illumination
 Cargo lamp
After lamps turn OFF by the battery saver system, the lamps illuminate again when
 signal received from keyfob, main power window and door lock/unlock switch or front door lock assembly
LH (key cylinder switch) is locked or unlocked
 door is opened or closed
 key is removed from ignition key cylinder or inserted in ignition key cylinder.
Interior lamp battery saver control period can be changed by the function setting of CONSULT-II.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts