Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guy's finally have sometime for myself! :p So here is my guide to fixing those ugly parking lights and updating with some bright new LED's!

First let me show you the stock stuff!

As you can see the top light is almost white, no amber and I just don't like it... I want the top one to match my side marker light!

Now this is what we will replace them with! 194 LED's that I picked up from my local O'Reilly store for about $9.00 (Note: '00 to '01 Xterra's can do the same thing but just need to unscrew the top of the side lights and just pull out... The rest of this guide is for the '02 to '04)

Alright lets begin, first the tools! 16x9 Long flathead screw driver, pliers needle or normal(I have 2 and ***** because I was working on other stuff too), and a 10mm Socket.

The goal is turn and pull all of these little clips so you can remove the grille without taking the bumper off! There are 4 located along the top and 2 under each light and 1 in the very middle (which is the toughest to get!)

The clips look like this once removed

Once you turn the clips be careful to not turn them to far because they are just plastic and will break you just need to turn them so the squares line up on the grille and be pulled away from the engine bay. Leave the clips in the spots so you don't lose them and then gather them up later putting them back in is the hard part!

Here is the two under the light, one on the left hand side and one on the far right.

The middle one is the hardest and will take the most patience and maybe a friend with a flash light so you can see if your turning it. If you have a license plate holder attached to your bumper remove it so you can reach easier and get a better angle.

End result, the terminator

Next remove the 2x 10 mm screws one on the top and one on the inside... Not pictures sorry, it's self explainatory

Now tug on the light towards you and it will pop out, reach behind to find the upper light...

Side by side comparison of the two!

*** For those of you wondering why not do this to the turn signal.... DON'T! Turn signals on our xterra's use resistance to work and LED's do not, you need an LED turn signal fixer thingy (can't remember the name) in between the wire and the light. I will do a write up on that down the road! ***

Alright so pull out the bulb and insert new LED, don't worry they are not one direction or another just insert them!

Here's what you should end up with! Doesn't look bright but it is! That's because the light is focused more and once in the dark it's much more apparent!

Again here's a before...

Comparison in daytime

Both done!

Final product!

Night time shots next!

How to re-attach your grille! (Link)

Reactions: Bow Commander

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright night time shots!

Sorry I do not have any night time of before, I was dumb when I started this!

Reactions: sionnach

·
Registered
850 Posts
That does look good.

·
IYAAYAS
382 Posts
VERY nice Kuma, I am gonna do all LED's ion about a week!! looks sweet

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! Just a simple little mod :p My interior LED's should be here this week and I am debating about doing my LED tail lights again and HID headlight projectors w/ projector fog lights... If I do then I will be dipping into my other mod money either for the roofrack or bumpers...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Nice!

Hey, on a pretty unrelated note, I used your Shrock installation guide for putting on my ARB, thank you. Just wanted to give you a heads up, on the 1.5 gen you don't have to remove the grill to remove the bumper. You can just reach into the gap in between the lower valence and the bumper and remove those 4 bolts. You mentioned bumpers so thought I'd throw it out there, sorry if you already knew.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
nice! I'm planning on doing this to mine.
I've done the reversing lights and the interior domes and maps so far.

·
Kill all humans?
296 Posts
Bravo for the AMBER parking lights! I can't believe that Nissan thought white lights were the way to go there.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Nice! Great write up!

·
nXm Sponsorship
4,653 Posts
NICE write up!! :)

I have a '00 model (as you once did) and may not understand... Is there no way to change out the bulb w/o removing the grill? I'm guessing this was for easier access.

·
nXm Sponsorship
4,653 Posts

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Good God, what was Nissan thinking? At least make a simple disconnect so you could reach it.

I like our way better. Thanks for the info.
They obviously assumed that the 2000 - 2001 men who bought the X would have large manly hands, and created appropriate access.

With the feminized 2002 - 2004's, they assumed that the owner's would have little girly hands, could simply reach through a smaller opening to get to the bulb.....

and, if girls, they may not even signal, so the bulbs might last the life f the truck anyway, etc.

:zunge2-big:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
They obviously assumed that the 2000 - 2001 men who bought the X would have large manly hands, and created appropriate access.

With the feminized 2002 - 2004's, they assumed that the owner's would have little girly hands, could simply reach through a smaller opening to get to the bulb.....

and, if girls, they may not even signal, so the bulbs might last the life f the truck anyway, etc.

:zunge2-big:
Haha, i'm dying here.:anbeten-big:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That or maybe the engineers figured men like puzzles and real men take things apart!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts