Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Just bought a 2001 Xterra yesterday and I got a po325 code for the knock sensor circuit malfunction. I've done some researching on here and it looks like it's going to be easier to just relocate it. I watched this video https://youtu.be/d_JMJ1KRJwI and it looks pretty straight forward to me. Is this recommended? And also is it better to use the Maxima harness and knock sensor? I think I read somewhere that their Xterra harness that they bought didn't work. And should I use the butt connectors and heat shrinking instead of the wire ties?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Hello everyone.
Just bought a 2001 Xterra yesterday and I got a po325 code for the knock sensor circuit malfunction. I've done some researching on here and it looks like it's going to be easier to just relocate it. I watched this video https://youtu.be/d_JMJ1KRJwI and it looks pretty straight forward to me. Is this recommended? And also is it better to use the Maxima harness and knock sensor? I think I read somewhere that their Xterra harness that they bought didn't work. And should I use the butt connectors and heat shrinking instead of the wire ties?
Before you do that, find the harness point where it plugs in. Buy some contact cleaner and dielectric grease.

Disconnect it from the harness, clean it and put a dab of the grease on the contacts. Sensors don't just die, most of the time it is corroded contacts at junction/plug points.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that easy to get to? Sorry, I know a little bit about cars but not that much. I saw a video where a guy removed the transmission brackets to lift the transmission so he could pull the harness off, but I think he ruined the knock sensor since it was brittle ( he was relocating it to the top of the engine so he wasn't worried about it, I guess)

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Is that easy to get to? Sorry, I know a little bit about cars but not that much. I saw a video where a guy removed the transmission brackets to lift the transmission so he could pull the harness off, but I think he ruined the knock sensor since it was brittle ( he was relocating it to the top of the engine so he wasn't worried about it, I guess)
yes, that easy, hard part is making it unplug, Nissan couplings are tough little buggers.
Years ago, I pulled every single plug I could reach, put a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts and put them back. 16 years later, not one check engine light

My friend had a motorcycle parked. he had given up on it. Last month, I had him clean every plug, bike started up like new and all of the lighting issues went away. Seriously, mechanics rip people off all the time for this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll give it a try. If I didn't replace it, is the worst thing that could happen is that my gas mileage/acceleration suffers a little bit?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try. If I didn't replace it, is the worst thing that could happen is that my gas mileage/acceleration suffers a little bit?
If you do pull your sensor, send it to me so I can have a spare I'll never use.
I'm not sure the mileage could get any worse, LOL. But I really don't think the sensor is bad. Clean it up like I mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts