Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have an 02 Xterra SE 4x4 s/c. My knock sensor has been failing for a while and today I decided to do the relocation mod. We went to picnpull and sourced a harness and knock sensor from an maxima and followed the directions as posted on this site. I ended up mointing the new sensor on the s/c. It's still throwing code P0328 for the knock sensor and now it is throwing code P0306 saying #6 is misfiring. It sounds like a lawn mower and runs like shit. So the main question is now what? It is possible that the knock sensor I sourced is bad and I don't mind replacing it as I paid $10 total for the harness and sensor. is it possible I need to mount it else where?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Good chance the knock sensor is out, If you really want to narrow it down you can try the bypass it with a 560k ohm resistor and see if it goes away.

OR the miss in #6 could be triggering it and needs to be taken care of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got some maybe dumb questions but here goes. Do you check the knock sensor for proper resistants before calling it bad? Also do you use 93 octane with the SC? I have a 2002 SC and it works like advertised. Put 87 octane in it and it gets KS code and shuts down SC, put 93 octane in it and after it gets through it does not get KS code and SC fulling ingauged and got 40 HP extra. I know exactly when SC waist gates, a lot less power and SC makes noise cause there is no pressure on it. You can open hood and look at bypass stuff on side of SC while truck running and see if it coded out on ya!!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Just do the resistor mod and be done with it. If you're not going to use the knock sensor the way the engineers (who make a shart ton more money, have spent years figuring out both location and functionality) have designed it to be used, then just put in a resistor and call it a day.

And if you're not using high octane, quit being a cheap ass and just do it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes that is probably the best way if you confirm timing is right on 10 degrees BTDC and your using 91 or higher octane then that mod would be great and no engine damage. Some I see are timed about 12 BTDC so put that back to 10, 91 or higher, and MOD!!! When mine quits working correctly that is what I will do and boost gauge is good too and cheap, then you always know what it is doing SC and computer are doing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have an 02 Xterra SE 4x4 s/c. My knock sensor has been failing for a while and today I decided to do the relocation mod. We went to picnpull and sourced a harness and knock sensor from an maxima and followed the directions as posted on this site. I ended up mointing the new sensor on the s/c. It's still throwing code P0328 for the knock sensor and now it is throwing code P0306 saying #6 is misfiring. It sounds like a lawn mower and runs like shit. So the main question is now what? It is possible that the knock sensor I sourced is bad and I don't mind replacing it as I paid $10 total for the harness and sensor. is it possible I need to mount it else where?
Take a deep breath it’s not that bad.
Most engines need a new timing belt while you’re doing that get that little radiator hose replaced. You will know it underneath the intake manifold...

now get the harness off of that knock sensor!

It’s hard to do but you can do it. Maybe ask your lovely wife because sometimes smaller hands are the only way for this project...

I bought a new sensor got lucky enough from my lovely wife to be able to reach in to and remove the harness from the sensor.
I have located on top of the intake manifold for now...But I believe The knock sensor is still listening...

. Maybe not as well; However
If your timing belts is been maintained....?

It is nearly impossible to blow up this engine.

so there I am... with the knock sensor...

just relocate it, it’s fine...

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
Take a deep breath it’s not that bad.
I hope they’ve taken more than one breath, this post is 8 years old

It is nearly impossible to blow up this engine
I disagree with this statement. I have personally seen these things grenade when using a supercharger, knock sensor bypass, and 85 octane gas. That sensor is there for a reason. Non supercharged need not worry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope they’ve taken more than one breath, this post is 8 years old

I disagree with this statement. I have personally seen these things grenade when using a supercharger, knock sensor bypass, and 85 octane gas. That sensor is there for a reason. Non supercharged need not worry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I apologize I was speaking for a 2006XE model with a V6...

The knocks sensor replacement...

Obviously buy a new one.

Here we can turn off that obnoxious check engine light off, and regain all of your horsepower back to where it should be...
Also this should take your engine out of “Limp” mode; This is one of the most common reasons why exterras lose good gas’s economy....

Hang on now this next next to well... It’s not that hard...

It is doable.
Different thinking , but it’s fine...

Clip the “one white” knock sensor white wire “ In half “
“middle span”

You will need room for stripping the wire on “both ends for your 3” soldering extension.

Just a side note;

If you not red lining or racing this engine “hence abusing the engine”; To the absolute threshold, then I have found and proven this to be still an accurate reading in voltages

The tolerances and voltages according to the Mechanics manual...

At different RPMs I found this is correct and doesn’t seem to be a problem ...

My voltmeter shows surprisingly perfect readings...

tested myself and proven to be a solution for Manny exterra owners who have a very common problem....

I got my knock sensor off just barely.

my hands were too large.

so I asked my lovely wife to help me finish taking the one, and center bolt that runs through it...

we got it unthreaded! YES!

Unfortunately; Even with smaller hands, the bolt to be replaced became too challenging to retread...

Go on ahead and take the intake manifold off.
“If you have all the tools, and the time to remove your intake manifold? Then you are in exterra heaven...

I don’t want to get side tract here,
But I have been building my exterra from the junk yard rebuild title.

It’s taken, friends, family, and many resourcing journeys.
I tell you what! I’ve had the most fun building a very nice machine for all the family to enjoy..

This build has been a profound experience for me that has brought me to the end of my wits trying to get this right.

There has been “ me” starting out with a long time desire of bringing dream into fruition.
I am excited to be here on this forum, and my build is gearing up...

There is much fun to be explored on the mountain.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
I’m even more confused now

I apologize I was speaking for a 2006XE model with a V6...
pretty sure there wasn’t an XE model in 2006. Not to mention that VQ40 engines have two knock sensors

Here we can turn off that obnoxious check engine light off
Knock sensor codes will not set a light, just store a code

Also this should take your engine out of “Limp” mode
these engines don’t have a limp mode. All they have is fixed timing fail safe or boost bypass for the supercharged models. This is not a recommended procedure for supercharged engines. You can destroy your engine

This is one of the most common reasons why exterras lose good gas’s economy..
Not sure about other peoples experiences, but I did the knock sensor bypass on mine by installing a resistor in place of the knock sensor. This allows for full timing advance at all times. I documented my fuel economy for 6+ fuel tanks before and 6 more after bypassing the knock sensor. I got no fuel economy increase and no noticeable increase in power.

My voltmeter shows surprisingly perfect readings...
an oscilloscope is used to monitor knock sensors. A DVOM will not help verify proper function

It’s taken, friends, family, and many resourcing journeys.
I tell you what! I’ve had the most fun building a very nice machine for all the family to enjoy..
this is the reason most of us do it. Lots of amazing experiences to be had. We’re planning on a few abandoned mine trips as well as some ghost towns as soon as spring comes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts