Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Xterra, 4wd, no SC

Check Engine Light is on. Mechanic says codes are the ever present "knock engine light" along with "Evap canister purge volume valve".

This is the 2nd time I've repaired each. Knock sensor in 2005 and EVAP valve in 2006.
question #1) How often is this stuff supposed to go bad?

From reading forum posts I can see since I don't have SC, I can ignore the knock sensor reading (good because that part of the quote was $800).

question #2) "Evap canister purge volume valve" is $700. How necessary is this. Can I drive without repairing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
could be the gas cap. make sure its tight if this is the problem it will take at least 50 miles for the cel light to go out.you can drive till your next state inspection and then it will have to be repaired to pass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved

WOW this forum is awesome! It's saved me $1500 in repair bills. After spending all day testing at the mechanic, the check engine light remained on. I declined repairs, picked up the truck, tightened the gas cap - NO f'n check engine light! Double-sweet since my inspection was due this month too. Thanks dejablue!

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
glad he could help you save alot of coin... LOL i would go back to the shop and slap the tech that looked at your X cause he is a idiot.. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts