·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I've talked to Drake about his and definately get good vibes. I'm just hesitant buying the STT's because I dont' know much about Cooper and SAMS doesn't offer them. Not necessarily bad, just unknown.

On a separate note, why do ppl keep linking to discounttiredirect in their sigs? Are you getting a discount or something for doing so?

Also, if a mod wouldn't mind changing my typo of sst to stt in the thread title, that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
i ran the cooper ST (just below the STT) for about 2 years....they wore great, were tough as nails on the rocks, and an all around great tire....i would imagine the STT is just as good

·
Registered
598 Posts
everyone has the discount tire in their sigs because there is a contest currently running.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have had my STTs for a 26k miles now in two years...Love them.
They are a little stiffer than other M/T tiresi my opinion but they grab more than enough the keep me smiling and they wear very modestly from my experience. I could easily go another two years with these tires and I drive the crap out of my truck off and on the street doing burnouts and pealing out all the time

I have 265/75/R16s

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
For rocks, the KM2 is hard to beat for grip, the STT's slip a little more...but there's no real bad choice, they're both very good tires.

The KM2 is a LOT better than the old KM, and the KM was an industry standard for DECADES.

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought new tires and it was between a set of KM2s or a set of or Bigfoot XTs. I got almost 55K miles out of my KMs and never had an issue (other than slicing the sidewall out of the passenger side on a sharp rock). I went with the XTs since they were almost $40 a tire cheaper. I love them so far and they handle the rocks and mud great. They do howl more than my old KMs though

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I myself have been researching and even agonizing over which tire to get. I have not heard anything bad about the KM2's. But just this week I've decided to go with the Cooper Discoverer STT's. I like thier aggressive look. They have an open shoulder design for a good bite and tapered ribs to throw stones. It has an M+S Rating. I've been discussing my options with the local auto repair shop I use, the owner and a number of his mechanics say they are a great buy. They describe them as an excellent cross inbetween an All-Terrain and a true Mud tire. 'You get off road performance much better than those BF Goodrich A/T's we see everywhere, but road noise and tread life are great.' The mechanic also said it doesn't take much to balance them. Considering the mass of that sized tire (for me it's the 285/70/R17) that says alot about the quality of manufacture.
I scanned a picture of some specs on the STT tire but I don't know how to attach it to this reply. Sorry. Hope at least my comments help.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I'm very pleased with my STT's. When aired down to my trail pressure (12 - 15 psi), they flex and grab rocks really well and the deflection allows for the tread to clean out almost instantly in the mud. TJ is right in that they will slip a bit on wet rock but they will grab and go once they get warm and hook up. I haven't seen the KM2's on regular rigs but I've seen a lot of competition buggies running 38"+ size tires and they do grip great on rocks but they seem to lack in mud MAINLY because they weren't cleaning out. Now this could be the tire pressure they were running or the type of mud so I can't give an honest critique on their mud performance. Also on wet roads, I've yet to have any hydroplaning/lifting happen and I've driven through some absolute floods on interstates. I feel like they perform better on the streets than my actual street tires. As for road wear, I can't say because these are strictly dedicated to trails and the only road driving they see is when I'm going to and from the trails. The rest of the time, they sit in storage anxiously awaiting their next chance to play. :)

In my opinion, if you're mainly a rock runner or out west where mud isn't as much of a factor, KM2's all the way but if your predominantly mud trails, I'd go with the STT's.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I never had coopers on any of my cars but they kind of have the same tread design as the old KMs. I got the KM2s and I got nothing bad to say except for the noise at high speeds but thats what the stereo is for. Nice aggressive tread and get a lot of complimants from them to

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My goodness! I still can't decide! I went through looking at Drakes pictures nd TN4x4Xterra's pictures again. They both look bada$$. Think they'd be cool if I bought 2 of each to put on each side of my car to see which I liked better?

Wouldn't that be a cool way of selling tires though?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have STTs on my Frontier, absolutely love them. Ther aren't real loud on the pavement with the windows up. Around 40-45 mph they start to roar a little, but not like other MTs. As for offroad, they tear up the ground! I am yet to have trouble getting traction on the trails (mainly mud trails). I am running 305/70/16 and paid less than $200 per tire. Its not uncommon to get around 50k miles with them too, if properly rotated. Cooper makes some hard rubber that lasts through just about any abuse you can feed it. I've had mine for about 8 months, and a buddy of mine has had his for almost 2 years, side by side they look the same age. Either way you go, you'll get an awesome tire though.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
I went another way and got Goodyear new MTRs and I love them!!! They do great on the street and on the rocks & mud @ Rausch Creek. I was just in the Outer Banks last week and they did great @ 20 psi in the sand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts