Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Xterra and I broke the only key I have. My pieces of key took to a auto place to see what they could do. It was slightly bent ,so the great guy there was putting it in to a vice several times and made me a key. Long story longer, it only opens the doors and my steering wheel is locked. Called a dealership and another and they said that it is programed and it would cost me $240 for someone to come and do key stuff. Question, is there any way I can get a programed key with my vin? Any other solutions would help. Thanks in advance! (And for reading my rant)

· Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
2,120 Posts
Your key doesn’t need to be programmed. The dealer can look up your key code by vin to cut a brand new one. You can use any key blank for this. It should cost less than $25 but you may need to provide proof of ownership.

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
I second that!

I used to work for a locksmith. Whether the key uses a chip or not, cutting the metal part can be done by a registered locksmith with a phone call to the manufacturer after ascertaining proof of ownership. We could cut the key in the shop or on-site in any of our service vans.

The only real issue will be if the tumbler was ever replaced with one that uses a different key code. In that case, a locksmith can still figure it out and cut you a key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts