Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2000 nissan xterra 3.3L, i find myself constantly fixing one after another problems.
NOW this happend after i replace a coolent temperture senor

the engine light came on with a code (p1336) CKP got that replace but truck still run with fluctuation idle and random shut off.

1. The Idle bar drops down constantly when it is idling. When I first start the car, it rests at 1,000 RPM, but after the engine is warm up a bit it drops to around 800 and then starts dipping between 800 and 600 constantly when is in P and N. If i put it in D or R it would fluctuate between 750 to 500 rpm and if i dont give it gas it will shut off. when i'm at a stop light the truck will idle and shut off. i know im not suppose to do this but i would put the truck in N when im at a stop light and rev it a bit to keep the rpm up above 1000rpm.
also the check engine light would come one with the same code P1336.

here what i have done to the truck before this problem started.

1. replace head gasket
2.replace knock senor
3. put in new radiator
4. put in aftermarket cap and rotor for the distributor
5.new spark plug
6. new distributor wire
7. replace collent tempeture senor
8.replace (ckp) crankshaft position senor

any help would be highly appreicated
as you can see i really dont have anymore money to really put in this

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
sorry your having all these issues you musta gotten a used one that was beaten by the previous owner both my vg33e engine nissan suvs have been great. your current issue sounds like a distributor failing to me, take the cap off and try to turn the rotor if it turns by hand the distributor shaft bearing has failed, replace, if it wont turn pull off rotor and the black plastic round thing screwed down on the distributor and look for powder, if any is present, bearing is on its way out and/or it has gotten shards in somewhere they dont belong. your coil maybe getting weak as well, which is built into distributor on these trucks. but the p1336 says crank pos sensor so i would replace it it is on the LH (DRIVER) side of the truck, from under neath it is kinda on top of the tranny bellhousing here is a link to the factory service manual with a pic on page 594 of where exactly it is. should be a 10mm bolt to remove that holds sensor down

·
Registered
733 Posts
I second distributor.

Distributors are one of the most common issues with the VG33E in the xterra, the camshaft position sensor is inside the distributor.

I googled the code and it said crank and cam sensors out of sync. Not sure if that's true for all cars or not.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
as porche said the camshaft sensor is in distributor and if its failing or the distributor itself is then it can cause the crank sensor to also think there is an issue when it could be the cam sensor or distributor, i would replace your fuel filter too while its down, if left undone it causes a ton of issues and most of the time it is over looked until your frustrated with fixing a poor running truck and someone suggests a fuel filter and you spend $10 and replace it to find that fixes the issue and you didnt need to spend the $100s to fix the other stuff

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here's the how to for bearing replacement (really cheap, so if that doesn't work, oh well)
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22116&highlight=distributor+bearing had wrong link..fixed...

If you end up replacing the distributor, don't buy a cheap one. Get the casting number off of yours and try to find a matching one. The dealer will ask for your VIN number to confirm the correct distributor as well. Otherwise, you will have rough running issues.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If/when you fix the problem please post to let us know. Myself and many others hate reading threads with similar problems to find no answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts