Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, i keep blowing this fuse, the fuse panel calls it the "A/T CONT" 10 amp fuse, when it happens, the tranny goes into limp mode, then once i shut it off it wont start or even crank until i replace the fuse. does any one know where/what this fuse connects to? i have no idea and would love a place to start to look for shorts or loose wires or bad relays or something of the sort i can do myself before i take it in to a shop and spend an arm and a leg, and help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,319 Posts
I would guess it's a short to ground somewhere. Have you installed anything lately? Run screws to secure something? Basically you are looking for a spot in the harness where the insulation has been stripped away and now a hot wire is contacting a ground source. I know it doesn't help much, sorry.

·
Banned
642 Posts
  • AT Computer
  • Gearshift (onto AT Computer and Reverse lamps)
  • Park/Neutral switch

The PN switch leads to the following:
  • PNP Relay coil
  • Security relay wiper
  • Cruise Control relay coil
  • ATP relay wiper (only on 4wd)

Places I would look are short in the reverse lamps (or excessive load) and unusually low resistance in the relay coils (should be a couple hundred ohms).

Barring those, it's probably the AT Computer; wouldn't envy you with that problem.

If you don't have the FSM, there's a sticky in this group and you'll need the following sections: PG, AT, SC, LT, and possibly ACS.

Reactions: kms1990

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder what the cause was- my 2000 is doing the exact same thing now. Transmission goes into limp mode, when I shut the truck off there's no start. Lights, systems, everything comes on, but no start. Th e#121 fuse is blown, and the truck doesn't start back up until I replace it.

A guy in nissanforums.com had this happening with his Frontier, but only when it went into reverse. Turned out to be a short in his backup light wiring at the socket. I haven't found what causes mine.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
meee tooooo but i haven't figured out why. out hadn't blown in awhile tho let nw know how you fixed it

Transmitting from the Death Star

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealership just called and said they found a wiring harness hanging down in my right front wheel well, and 5 wires were exposed due to rubbing (didn't say if it was rubbing on the tire, or some other part.

I'm wondering how exposed wires in the right front wheel well would cause my A/T CONT fuse to blow, so I'll need more information from them as to the circuits that might have been shorted. So far that's all I have.

·
Banned
642 Posts
The Park/Neutral Position relay is in that area...

Reactions: kms1990

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man! Wow! You all are Lifesavers! I've been round and round with this you wouldn't believe... Well, yeah, you would--You've been there too it seems!

Ok, so I am going through the same thing here. I have a 2003 Xterra 4WD SE model and the same fuse keeps blowing (A/T CONT" 10 Amp), and then the car will not crank nor start, but all battery-operated accessories still work inside.

After reading your posts, this leads me to the rear end of my vehicle. (We have discovered a clicking under the gear shift too, so I'm more confident now about this, thanks to you all!)

Someone had also asked prior if anything had been added recently. Well, in our case, we have recebtly pulled a trailer a couple times and hooked up the trailer lights/wiring. And we also replaced the license plate bulbs (tag lights) that were burnt out, and one light was found to be out of position a little and we reset it with a little black tape for the moment.

Has anyone had experience with either of these being a possible issue source?
Or does anyone have any opinions on these being the possible source of the issue?

If so, please let me know what happened and if/how you fixed it?? Also please know I am not a genious car mechanic by any means, so "dumbed-down" answers are most welcome too!!!

Thank you so much for the help, everybody! And many thanks in advance for any response/help with this!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealership just called and said they found a wiring harness hanging down in my right front wheel well, and 5 wires were exposed due to rubbing (didn't say if it was rubbing on the tire, or some other part.

I'm wondering how exposed wires in the right front wheel well would cause my A/T CONT fuse to blow, so I'll need more information from them as to the circuits that might have been shorted. So far that's all I have.
i just installed headers and like a dumbass forgot to clip that same harness back to its bracket. After 2 days car wouldn’t start unless tou jumped the starter. Then trans went into limp mode. The harness was sitting in the header and melted. Luckily a new fuse, a little electrical taoe and relocating the harness was all i needed

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
guys 1st thing to try if this happens is park neutral switch replacement and looking for freyed wires

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is a 2003 xterra, just started burning out the A/T CONT fuse. Where is the Park/neutral switch located?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mine is a 2003 xterra, just started burning out the A/T CONT fuse. Where is the Park/neutral switch located?
on 1st gen should be mounted where the shaft for the shifter mounts to the transmission

1 - 14 of 14 Posts