Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I need your opinion. I have a 2000 SE with 146k on it. I LOVElovelove this rig. But I came across a 2012 Pro-4X with 49,000 miles on it that drives like an absolute dream... and that's where it gets me. The only real complaint I have about ol' green is that the acceleration is pretty lousy at times. I know this isn't a vehicle meant for a lot of get up and go, but the 2012 has no problem there. I made up a list of pros and cons but would love any insight from you guys. And I included pics because, hell, sometimes it just makes it easier.

Pro that has most weight for 2000:
It's paid off so I can start putting the mods I want into her.
Con:
Lack of power.

Pro that has most weight for 2012:
So much power, so trucky.
Con:
Lose the moon roof, classic look of the 1st gen, won't be able to afford mods for quite some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you want more power, just build up the engine, cams, exhaust, intake, and do your mods you want to do...don't get me wrong, I love the 2nd gen too, but I wouldn't sacrifice my hard earned dollars when I have something that is just as or more reliable. Plus like you said, it's paid off. So now you could mod it if that is what you want to do...plus with under 150k, you have at least another 100k left in her...but I guess it is mainly what you want. Do you want something that is a little more comfortable to drive, or something that is a little more capable (I use the term loosely cuz the 2nd gen are very capable with the e locker, but are a little bigger too), paid off, and is ready for mods...just my 2 cents

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to admit the xterras have horrible acceleration. It's hard to pass anyone on the highways. I say keep the first gen xterra because they are simply great trucks.
Haha, isn't that the truth. My favorite is the dirty looks I get from people stuck behind me when merging onto the freeway. It's unusual for them not to cut over a lane to pass me immediately ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want more power, just build up the engine, cams, exhaust, intake, and do your mods you want to do...don't get me wrong, I love the 2nd gen too, but I wouldn't sacrifice my hard earned dollars when I have something that is just as or more reliable. Plus like you said, it's paid off. So now you could mod it if that is what you want to do...plus with under 150k, you have at least another 100k left in her...but I guess it is mainly what you want. Do you want something that is a little more comfortable to drive, or something that is a little more capable (I use the term loosely cuz the 2nd gen are very capable with the e locker, but are a little bigger too), paid off, and is ready for mods...just my 2 cents
Thank you so much for your response. After taking a lot into consideration, I'm keeping ol' green. I'll post the journey of our mods as they happen. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thank you so much for your response. After taking a lot into consideration, I'm keeping ol' green. I'll post the journey of our mods as they happen. Thanks again :)
Anytime! And I would personally do a 3.4l build, using the vh45 pistons, high performance cams, high performance valve springs, port/polish heads/valves/intake, headers, custom exhaust with cats (for inspection/emissions), an efan, tranny cooler, SC'D radiator, possibly some better injectors (although the stock ones would be fine for a NA build), and maybe even the SC'D tranny...that would be my dream build for the motor/tranny, now the rest is a much longer list...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
140 Posts
Keep the first Gen. Way more unique looking and truly a great truck. Plus easier to fix for the most part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.