Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you transport Kayaks on your Xterra? What kind of rack do you use? thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
No rack, just some foam noodles, 2 ratchet straps, and a string. KISS engineering at it's best.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a great idea for when I go by myself but what do you do about two of them? fishing yaks are wide (32-33 inches) Where are you located?
WG

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is a great idea for when I go by myself but what do you do about two of them? fishing yaks are wide (32-33 inches)
Actually I was quite disappointed my X would not do 2 side by side, when my dinky Escape would hold 2 wide kayaks on top without anything more than some padding. The rack seems to be a bit narrow despite the larger vehicle.

Something I haven't tried yet, but thought of, is using the foam noodles and inserting some sturdy pipe (like conduit pipe or such) inside to make extension bars, and either attach those to the cross bars, or use U-bolts to bolt to the racks somehow.

I'm not big on J bars because they lift the kayak into the air like a sail, but for 2 side by side it might be needed. I've thought about getting a set of these,
but until I see a reason to take both kayaks somewhere, I probably won't spend any money to fix a problem I've yet to have.

So far I've yet to have a reason to take both my kayaks somewhere since I got the X.

Where are you located?
I'm in south-central Kentucky.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Wife is from up there, thought I recognized the terrain. thanks for the link that looks like the answer and a great price. WG

·
Registered
482 Posts
I built a surf board rack that hangs off the roof of my garage using PVC pipe stuffed with wood dowels. the wood provided the rigidity and the PVC provided the surface and protection from water. You could probably build something similar for very little investment.

I've also modified several ski racks over the years to fit what I needed to carry. You can often find a used ski rack (or other roof rack) at a garage sale/craigslist. Throw in a couple of U-bolts from the hardware store, a little drilling and tweaking -- viola!! your own custom rack is done.

One last idea: a broken roof top carrier. If the latches are broken you can pull it apart, use the mounting brackets on the bottom and build your own custom frame into it (see pvc pipe idea above).

Just my recommendations for doing it on the cheap. By the way, the problem with your 'dinky Escape' is that you have to walk those kayaks in further because the Escape can't get as far into the back country as the Xterra.....I'm just saying, no whining now.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Escape???? I aint got no stinkin Escape. Good ideas, thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Escape???? I aint got no stinkin Escape. Good ideas, thanks
It seems for some reason he was making an irrelevant and antagonistic dig at me because I made a passing comment that I found irony in that the Escape I once owned, had a stock rack that would hold 2 kayak's yet an X's, which has this huge beefy rack, would not. But I guess he thinks he knows more about Escape's than I do, maybe he secretly wishes he had one.

Good luck with a low cost solution to your rack, personally I think it would be more impressive to make one than buy one, I know professional solutions can run hundreds of dollars. The only issue is the racks I see is they are too narrow, it's a good rack just not taking advantage of the X's width.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have yet to need anything for my kayak, but I have a little creek boat. I just throw it up top long enough to get where I am going, or to meet my buddies and toss it in the back of their pickups. We tend to have 5 or 6 people at a time, so the x is usually just the runner to drop another truck off at the takeout.

If I was going to build an extension, i would get something a bit more rigid that conduit. There is some stuff at home depot and lowes that is black pipe about 3/4 or 1" that threaded on the ends. At all my local stores its usually on the end caps where the conduit is. I think for a cheap way to widen the base you could use one of those and probably find some yakima mounts that would fit around it. It honestly looks like the crossbars yakima and thule sell, but I think they are less that $15 for a 6 foot piece. two of those and some pool noodles and you would have a nice rack that would fit two boats.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I was going to say I've owned some useless cars in my day but I never had an Escape. the pipe and noodles sound like the answer. I found some 5/8" wide tie wraps that are fiberglass reinforced that would hold it all on I think. thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yakima makes some universal base clamps that will adapt to most racks weather it be for bikes or kayaks. Pretty sturdy. That's what I would recommend then you could get two up there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought two sets of malone j hooks, had to hit the hardware store for longer bolts but they work nice for carrying two kayaks on 2nd gen.

·
Registered
808 Posts
if you want I'll try and get pics of my racks. I made a cardboard template of the shape of the kayak then a pattern out of 1/4 inch plywood. I cut 4 rack shapes out of 3/4 plywood then mounted them on two straight 2x4s, drilled holes and I use u bolts from Home Depot to hook to the racks. Four eye bolts hold the ropes over the kayaks to hold them down on each rack. Finishing touch is pool noodles on the racks to protect the kayaks.cost me about $20. tie 'em on and it works great. I may get some rachet straps to replace the ropes but that's it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
if you want I'll try and get pics of my racks. I made a cardboard template of the shape of the kayak then a pattern out of 1/4 inch plywood. I cut 4 rack shapes out of 3/4 plywood then mounted them on two straight 2x4s, drilled holes and I use u bolts from Home Depot to hook to the racks. Four eye bolts hold the ropes over the kayaks to hold them down on each rack. Finishing touch is pool noodles on the racks to protect the kayaks.cost me about $20. tie 'em on and it works great. I may get some rachet straps to replace the ropes but that's it.
This sounds like the best bet. Let us know what you end up with and post pics. I recommended covering any wood with PVC as it will resist water better.

. Apologies to any offended by my Escape comments. Like I said to a friend who bought a BMX X3, "it's okay, I'll still pull you out of the snow when you get stuck".

no whining now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought a set of Yakima clamp ons, 4 of them, that clamp nicely on the Gen1 rack. Two in front, two in back, they have plastic shaped springy tops that cradle the kayak, 2 on each side. For $99, they are very easy to install, and you can vary the width between them to accomodate different sizes of kayaks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts