Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just bought a 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X, manual trans with 75.000 miles. Salesman at dealership said they changed oil, put new brake pads and new brake shoes, did make 4 wheel alignment and tires rotation. It's my first 4X4 vehicle. What should I check or replace right away to avoid problems in a future? Planning to keep this vehicle as long as possible. It's my second vehicle and don't plan to use it as a daily driver. I'm not a hardcore off-roader either. Might go out on unpaved road with some hills and small creek crossing but that's it.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. paid $14K if somebody curious :)

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S 6 speed manual
7 Posts
Hello,

Just bought a 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X, manual trans with 75.000 miles. Salesman at dealership said they changed oil, put new brake pads and new brake shoes, did make 4 wheel alignment and tires rotation. It's my first 4X4 vehicle. What should I check or replace right away to avoid problems in a future? Planning to keep this vehicle as long as possible. It's my second vehicle and don't plan to use it as a daily driver. I'm not a hardcore off-roader either. Might go out on unpaved road with some hills and small creek crossing but that's it.

Thank you in advance.

I just bought a 2012 Xterra S w/86k on it. It will likely be my daily driver. I do a fair bit on gravel roads around Colorado. What is the Achilles heel that you should consider checking or fixing right away to avoid being stranded in the mountains somewhere?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,659 Posts
Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Check all of the fluids and replace any that are suspected of not being changed. Includes trans, transfer case, both diffs, PS, and brake fluid. Check and/or change your filters, too: engine air, oil, cabin.

If you change your coolant, be prepared to have the water pump go out before long. For me, when the coolant is changed, I always do the water pump, t-stat, and as many hoses as I can access. Doing it once on my schedule instead of when it wants to fail is less stressful.

Be sure to exercise the 4WD every once in a while, even if it's just for a few miles on a dirt road or in a nature reserve. Use Low Range at that time as well, just to keep things wet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Congratulations on your purchase, good choice. I have the same year and model but with more miles, 130,000. It’s never been the shop. I do my own oil changes tire rotations, etc. I do have a bad tpms sensor but ignore it as l check tire pressures regularly and I figure Nissan would charge a lot to turn that warning light off.

I have done a fair amount of 4WD exploring going over several 4WD passes (11,000’ +) here in Colorado. Never a problem. I see lots of Jeeps and 4WD PU’s up there.
I do oil(synthetic) and filter changes regularly and replaced all of the lubricants at about 100,000 miles. Still running the original spark plugs as an experiment just to see how long they last.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for tip on water pump. I've done all the other things you mentioned. If there's a fluid I had it replaced - sort of set a maintenance baseline since you never know what the last owner did.

Also, did I fohpah by posting on this site instead of the thenewx?

·
Registered
7 Posts
@newthink4
We're a bunch of X owners. We're still living, working, driving, fixing, and modifying our vehicles.

What faux pas would that be?
I found clubxterra.org first and registered there but it seems it is for first gen owners? Somehow in searching I found thenewx.org which looks like it is for second gen owners like me. Just didn't want to rattle the cages by posting in the wrong place. You know how people can get. :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts