Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we started with a $500 Zuk that I bought for parts. As we looked it over it looked better than expected and we decided to build the parts rig. It didn't take much tearing into it to see that it wasn't as good as we thought.. Back on Craigslist and bought this one for $1,000, a much better start.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got her home and up on the jack stands she went

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
This is gonna be badass I can feel it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Let's get that front axle out of there

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now the rear axle get's it's turn in the spotlight

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first part arrived on 12/24, my gas tank skid.. Expecting more and more to start rolling in this week.

·
Square peg, round hole
1,718 Posts
LOVE jacked up Sammies! Can't wait to follow this build, looking good already!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made some good progress last night. Removed the hard brake lines from the rear axle and got after that with a wire brush. Did some grinding on the front axle to prep for welding the spring perches and shock mounts. Removed the steering arm. Cut the shock towers off the frame and ground that down.

I'll put some pics up as soon as I have them, though they are not terribly exciting.

I am hoping that parts will start rolling in over the next few days....

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to the progress on this build thread.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
sweet!

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Nice!

I've been seriously considering a sami for a trailer queen. I watched one at our KOTH event just stomp most of the competition even with the 4-banger. Plus the weight won't kill my X as a tow rig. :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And as a bonus you don't even need a car hauler. These things will tow fine on most any dual axle trailer. I rented a 6 x 12 open trailer from U-Haul, that was not a car hauler, for $30 for the day. I have a landscaping trailer that we have used to haul Sammi's before as well, but at the moment my trailer is stripped down to the frame and has just a couple coats of primer on it... But that is another project all together :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last night we removed the doors, finished removing the rear shocks, took off the rear bumper and tow bar and made my hybrid spring packs for the front (Removed overload leaf from rear packs and replaced with bottom leaf of the front packs to make my new front spring pack, YJ's are going in the rear)

Also got my front bumper and winch last night.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, my neighbor is documenting since we are in his shop and I never remember my camera. Just waiting for him to upload the pics to our website, then I can copy them to Photobucket and add them to the thread here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Some pics from the last few nights of cutting and grinding. Removed the front shock towers and ground the frame, ground on the front axle for welding spring perches and shock mounts, removed the rear bumper and tow bar and built the hybrid front spring packs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This thing has to go

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last night we disassembled the rear axle. Removed the axle shafts and 3rd member and drained all the fluid. We will be putting in the lockrite and cleaning up the housing for welding and paint. I will have more pics in the next couple of days of that work as well as some parts that have been rolling in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More progress made. Picked up a complete set of YJ springs on Saturday for $30. Only need the rears for my build, but who knows, I may go to YJ springs all the way around some day, if I do, I have the springs.

Sunday we put the locker in the rear 3rd and reassembled the rear axle. Then we ground for the spring perches and shock mounts. Only got one picture yesterday as we had several visitors in and out of the shop all day long.

We also mocked up and drilled holes for the rear YJ spring hangers. They bolt to the original stock hangers in one place and we burned some paint off them with the torch cutting the stock bolts, so they need to be primed and painted before I can permanently bolt on the YJ hangers.

Also tackled removing the bushings in the old YJ springs. That was a long, hard, sweaty job. A couple came out realtively easy, the other two had to be drilled, pryed, hammered, chiseled and punched into submission.... and that was just the rubber parts. We had to break out the sawzall and cut through the metal sleeve in a few places just to be able to peel it off the inside of the spring eyes.

We then went ahead and broke off the centering pins on the spring packs as we need to flip the pins for SPOA. They were so rusted we knew we would probably break them anyway and we were definately not going to reuse them, so no sense in taking time to finesse them out. I will stop tonight and get new centering pins so we can bolt them back together and then clean them up for paint.

Speaking of paint, also got one coat on the gas tank skid. And I finally cut off that god awful fart can of a muffler.

I think that describes most, if not all of the progress over the last few days.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Looks like you are moving right along on the sammi. You'll be on the trains in no time at this rate!

1 - 20 of 185 Posts