Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always loved the look of 'em. Read some reviews lately and decided to give it a shot.

I'm hoping y'all can help guide me with the new wheels. Don't have much to work with, but wanna add some things quickly to really feel good about what I'd drivin.

Thanks,

Jimmy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fellas.

only things i'll be tackling in the near future are mud and pavement. won't want to do too much until upgrading tires. i want black wheels too; never had any, but love the look - what size wheels can i shop for? i've got a 2004 SE 4dr 4X4.

another small project i gotta do is install fog lights in the spots in front. do i need moldings/fittings and a wiring assembly, or can i just buy the lights and get started? haven't gotten under there and looked yet; pickin her up tomorrow.

thanks again, fellas.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
You can fit 265/75/16s stock, and 285/75/16s with a 2" body lift and a little trimming.. depending on if you go with wheels with less backspacing, you may have to trim some more

I think the SEs came pre-wired since that was the higher trim level.. I know my XE isn't wired for them.. best thing to do would be to crawl under and take a look

www.4x4parts.com is a good place to spend lots of money :D lol

·
IYAAYAS
382 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Welcome to CX!

What type of wheel are you looking for? Steelies or Alloys? If you plan to get involved in more offroading in the future I would recommend steel wheels. Alloys can crack if they get a hard enough knock from a rock whereas steel wheels will just dent and can be hammered back in form. The drawback to steel wheels obviously is the weight compared to alloys but I consider it a tradeoff for durability.

Check summitracing.com for a good selection of wheels to pick from. You'll be looking for a wheel with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern and 4" to 4.25" center bore. The factory backspacing is 5.5" and it is somewhat recommended to stick as close to that as possible to prevent rubbing issues. I run a cragar black d rim with 4.75" backspacing for example.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. Thanks man. The wheel specs are exactly what I needed to know. I'll probably stick with black alloy for now; only cuz I won't be getting into anything too rough anytime soon. I'll be a poser for a while just cuz I can't afford to dive into the hobby too deeply, but I still want the X to look good.

Speakin of being a poser, most my inital questions about her will be mainly cosmetic inquiries.

So far though, I'm digging the site. I've received more freakin replies to my newcomer post than I ever got on the Cherokee forum I was on.

Thanks again, man.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I think first gens look great with black wheels. Welcome!

Another option would be to paint your current ones.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Hi and welcome to Club X.
I am a former Jeep owner and had a boat load of them. The Cjs were the best offroaders, but the least comfortable of any I have owned. With that said, right out of the box, these Xterras do a heck of a job. The fact that you can buy all the good off road bits, means you can make these trucks go where the gettin is tough.
If you have the extra mud flaps, ditch them quick. If you plan on getting into some decent offroading, you will want to do a PML and remove the step rails and add some sliders.
By then, the bug will bite you bad and the heavier mods will be in your future!
Lots to learn here and good pleople to learn from.
I am pretty new to the X and I have been very impressed with their agility.
Itsme

·
Registered
508 Posts
was a former jeep guy myself, as well as a former land rover owner. the jeep was a lot of fun but everybody does that. you can build a jeep piece by piece from the mail. i love the x for the fact that it takes some work to make it your own. the land rover was just a money sink, though i do miss the heated seats, anyway all this to say welcome to cx!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts