Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys Rza here, i need some help swapping out an 01 X with a JDM motor. I cant seem to find any special instructions or help on the swap; example which components to swap....exhaust manifold and coolant lines, starter etc. If anyone has any links or old post they can direct my friends and I would be very appreciative, thank you!:x

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry can't give you a lot of help. I had mine done,didn't do it myself. If it helps a bit they gave me back a bunch of parts. Mainly brackets for the alternator etc. Also the intake was different. Another thing was there was a difference between the mounting plate to the transmission.I had to make a spacer to get the starter away from the flywheel, it was jammed tight on it. Hope this bit of info helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help, honestly it helps. I may hire a master tech to help us with the install and transferring the necessary components. I cant seem to find any help online, very odd.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If it were me, I would ensure I kept the intake, emissions hardware, alty/ps/ac brackets, and any brackets in general...I've heard of the nightmares of jdm motors, but after reading all that I would probably swap whatever I could from my motor over to the other...JMTC (just my two cents)

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
808 Posts
One thing you'll have a good motor when it's in. When you keep all your brackets, may want to keep your distributor too. They say there are slight differences between regions and the Japanese distributator may not "speak"properly with your ecu. But again I'm a bit out of my zone. Someone better with mechanicals got any 2 cents more enlightenment?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we I just finished slapping most of the old parts on the new motor. We are going to call it a night, time for cold crisp coronas. Tomorrow we shall determine if we are complete idiots or not......perhaps..well, never mind. So far the process is surprising easy. Im with two others who have no experience on nissans. We've only been working on this motor for about 12 hours, not to shabby.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice...should've taken pics and made a build thread

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well we I just finished slapping most of the old parts on the new motor. We are going to call it a night, time for cold crisp coronas. Tomorrow we shall determine if we are complete idiots or not......perhaps..well, never mind. So far the process is surprising easy. Im with two others who have no experience on nissans. We've only been working on this motor for about 12 hours, not to shabby.

Got pics

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have pictures. I'm thinking of making a detailed build/swap thread about the JDM motors since no one online has done it, as in posted a detailed thread. I will continue taking pictures and recording notes. Thanks guys for the support.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I do have pictures. I'm thinking of making a detailed build/swap thread about the JDM motors since no one online has done it, as in posted a detailed thread. I will continue taking pictures and recording notes. Thanks guys for the support.
Absolutely, that would be a great thread...who knows when you have to buy a jdm motor...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesssssss! almost done! We had to replace almost everything except for the block. What a process! JDM's are the best bud! Japanese domestic motors #1 woooooooooooooot

we had to modify the passenger motor mount so the exhaust manifold would fit in properly, shown above.

Me after buying Rusty

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
What a pain

·
Registered
808 Posts
You mean physically won't turn? If so take off your starter and see if it moves. When mine was done they told me the motor was f×÷=%_. Turns out it was the starter jamming up hard on the flywheel. I made a spacer to bring the starter out about 1/4 inch using a part of the bacing plate that came wit the JDM motor. Been fine since.

·
Registered
248 Posts
question.... what is the difference and benefit of a JDM motor over domestic in an Xterra? I have done swaps in Civic where you get more horse power and better fuel economy. Would this be the same deal?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rusty is ALIVE! We got her running. The Starter wasn't properly grounded that why it didnt crank over. Started like a champ. Now for front suspension re-tune/rebuild.

replacing new axles tomorrow and warren manual locking hubs

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Long arm eh? Nice. I've only seen one other person drop the coin on that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts