Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Had one put in didn't do it myself.they had to change a bunch of the mounts etc. Sorry but I'm not sure off all of it. I had to make a spacer for the starter as it was jammed. Works fine though. Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is what I have found so far that "may" need to be swapped form the original engine to the JDM.
1. Top intake plenum
2. Coolant Lines
3. Accessory Brackets
4. Crank Sensor
5. Engine wire harness (a few pcs may need minor mods)
6. May need to "shim" starter
7. Remove Flex plate and bushing from crank and install flywheel and Pilot Bearing

I also plan on replacing the timing belt/tensioner and water pump as well as installing a new clutch kit.

I'm basically treating like a longblock. All the extra stuff will find its way to the scrap pile or may be of use to someone needing VG33 right drive parts.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Agree on the intake and the starter. I've got the JDM intake left over and had to shim the starter as it jammed on the flywheel so tight they thought the engine was seized. Couldn't even turn it with a breaker bar. The rest I don't know but mine seems to run fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree on the intake and the starter. I've got the JDM intake left over and had to shim the starter as it jammed on the flywheel so tight they thought the engine was seized. Couldn't even turn it with a breaker bar. The rest I don't know but mine seems to run fine.
Do you have an automatic or standard? Wondering about the starter if that may make a difference.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mine's stick. The engine donor was slush box I think. That might be the difference. Could be year too.Mine's 2000 who knows year on the donor. I bought on line from a place in Toronto that deals in JDM engines. Fitment was from 2000 to 2004. I made my starter spacer by cutting the Japanese tranny plate around the starter area with a hacksaw and filed it to fit between the starter and tranny.It brought out the starter 1/4 inch. Working fine 2 years on.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
The problem with the starter is the 2002 was the only year some big changes were made to flywheel was changed and starter location was changed and a lot of other things but check these 2 things out closely before installing the motor so you dont need to change the fly wheel after the motor is in..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks pretty clean.
I was VERY pleased with how NEW the engine looks. I was told it would have between 30 and 50K miles on it. It looks MUCH lower but who knows. It has not been "cleaned up" and everything looks GOOD. If it runs a good as it looks I will be very happy. Unfortunately I will not be able to get started until next week or weekend at the earliest. BTW it was $899 SHIPPED!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Looks good.hope the install goes well. I take it you're planning to change plugs while it's out. Lots of room by #6 plug on the pallet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks good.hope the install goes well. I take it you're planning to change plugs while it's out. Lots of room by #6 plug on the pallet.
Yeah I'd probably do all the standard maintenance on known failures while its out. Timing belt kit, valve cover gaskets, plugs, etc......Then you should be able to go 100k without touching it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great suggestions guys! I had planned on the timing belt, water pump, and new clutch. Had not thought of the plugs and VC gaskets. I am NEW to the Xterra so any suggestions ARE appreciated. I will UPDATE my list.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm not certain but what about the knock sensor while doing the timing belt water pump. Just thinking while you're there. Minor issue could always bypass it if it gave problems. I've never done the belt it's above my comfort level so just throwing it out there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts