Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. My apologies in advance for a long post...

I let the wife of my best buddy, who is still my best buddy, borrow my Xterra since her car was not useable. Long story short, 3 weeks later it slid off the freeway on ice, spun around, and tried to dance with the cable barrier. (I hated those things before now, and I hate them even worse now!)

She was not injured in this transaction.

207,ooo miles, VG33E, auto trans, 4WD. Recent work: t-belt, water pump, cam & crank front seals, all 3 "fan" belts, both tensioner pulleys, external trans fluid cooler (bypassing radiator cooler), all PS hoses, both headlight housings, PIAA halogen bulbs, right side marker housing, CV axles, RF auto-hub.

The damage, all of it to the right side:
  • Grille, headlight, and side marker housings are gone
  • Bumper is bent
  • I had to tear the front mud flap off to be able to drive it
  • Side step bent - had to remove front cap to drive without rubbing when turning right
  • Rear glass broken
  • Plastic knob on fuel door missing
  • Taillight housing damaged at top (reflector)
  • Mirror missing
  • Dents at:
    • front door at A pillar and below that
    • rear door at C pillar
    • D pillar
    • side of hood (slight)
  • Pulls right a little more than before
  • Front door won't open all the way due to door/fender interference
Tailgate is not damaged, nor is the glass.

Another buddy who followed me home in my car observed the right front wheel/tire appeared to be cambered out a little more than the left. I think that explains the slight pull to the right that I experienced.

It drives fine. All of the interior controls, including the left mirror, work.

I have not decided what to do at this point. I am open to selling, trading, swapping my motor into another X and driving it away, etc.

Any recommendations, suggestions, ideas, or questions? Many thanks for reading this far!

·
Registered
2004 xterra 6cyl 3.3L (160k miles) & 2003 xterra 6cyl 3.3L (dead engine)
93 Posts

I let the wife of my best buddy, who is still my best buddy, borrow my Xterra since her car was not useable. Long story short, 3 weeks later it slid off the freeway on ice, spun around, and tried to dance with the cable barrier. (I hated those things before now, and I hate them even worse now!)

207,ooo miles, VG33E, auto trans, 4WD. Recent work: t-belt, water pump, cam & crank front seals, all 3 "fan" belts, both tensioner pulleys, external trans fluid cooler (bypassing radiator cooler), all PS hoses, both headlight housings, PIAA halogen bulbs, right side marker housing, CV axles, RF auto-hub.

View attachment 76478

• Bumper is bent
  • Side step bent - had to remove front cap to drive without rubbing when turning right
  • Rear glass broken
  • Mirror missing
  • Dents at:
    • rear door at C pillar
    • D pillar
    • side of hood (slight)

Another buddy who followed me home in my car observed the right front wheel/tire appeared to be cambered out a little more than the left. I think that explains the slight pull to the right that I experienced.

I have not decided what to do at this point. I am open to selling, trading, swapping my motor into another X and driving it away, etc.

Any recommendations, suggestions, ideas, or questions? Many thanks for reading this far!
this whole situation totally sucks!!! I feel bad for you & your poor X (glad no one was hurt). Although this is a very unfortunate situation... I might be able to help you out a bit.

As stated in my profile, I do have 2 X's. When my oldest (now 20) turned 17 and got her license I got her a red 2003 Xterra. Long story short, she let her northern born side (we are from Illinois) come out and assumed that all xterra's were made for offroading (NOT) while trying to be cool and show off to her friends she "accidentally" ended up in a small body of water. It only went in on the driver's front tire corner side, water did come into the cabin a bit (did not come in far enough to reach the seats) someone pulled her X out of said water and she drove away. She drove around in that X for a good couple months after this incident, until one day it just died (while driving) and has not started since. We are thinking the motor got water logged. It has just been sitting in front of my house for the past 1 1/2 years. I had decided to take spare parts off it (just in case, for my other daughter's X, the one I have been working on) and then sell it either to whoever for cheap or send it to the junkyard...

If interested, message me

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, MeeToo, so sorry this happened, but glad no one was seriously hurt. I don't know how much you're willing to spend but I would look into keeping it.. it looks minor and more cosmetic with minor body work and it would be less than buying another one unless you go a really good deal on one. I you ave time and can spend some time with it keep it. If you don't really care for the side rails, just remove them, and enjoy the lifted look and no cost.

View attachment 76478

• Bumper is bent
  • Rear glass broken
  • Mirror missing
  • Dents at:
    • rear door at C pillar
    • D pillar
    • side of hood (slight)

·
Registered
494 Posts
this whole situation totally sucks!!! I feel bad for you & your poor X (glad no one was hurt). Although this is a very unfortunate situation... I might be able to help you out a bit.

As stated in my profile, I do have 2 X's. When my oldest (now 20) turned 17 and got her license I got her a red 2003 Xterra. Long story short, she let her northern born side (we are from Illinois) come out and assumed that all xterra's were made for offroading (NOT) while trying to be cool and show off to her friends she "accidentally" ended up in a small body of water. It only went in on the driver's front tire corner side, water did come into the cabin a bit (did not come in far enough to reach the seats) someone pulled her X out of said water and she drove away. She drove around in that X for a good couple months after this incident, until one day it just died (while driving) and has not started since. We are thinking the motor got water logged. It has just been sitting in front of my house for the past 1 1/2 years. I had decided to take spare parts off it (just in case, for my other daughter's X, the one I have been working on) and then sell it either to whoever for cheap or send it to the junkyard...

If interested, message me
View attachment 76479
Metoo! Jump on that. You know Big Red is looking a whole lot better than your wounded Polar Bear!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Metoo! Jump on that. You know Big Red is looking a whole lot better than your wounded Polar Bear!
I've already sent a PM, for sure!

Mine doesn’t look a whole lot better than your wrecked one
Mine was getting better until this happened, but now I have more options since spending some money is imminent. Right now I'm licking my wounds. I'll come out of this stronger and better, or so I'm told.

;)

would it be a hard swap to move his 4wd stuff into "big red"?
That's a question I was gonna ask, too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Specs on big red...

Attachments

Reactions: MeToo

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,439 Posts
Well that sucks I almost ate a K barrier this morning on a heavily iced over bridge. Ended up gathering it up and inching past an M5 and F150 that had already butted heads just before I showed up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well that sucks I almost ate a K barrier this morning on a heavily iced over bridge. Ended up gathering it up and inching past an M5 and F150 that had already butted heads just before I showed up.
Yikes. Thank goodness for some good luck and driving skills. Ice can be such a game changer that cares nothing for you or your vehicles abilities. Some times it's just game over.

·
Registered
494 Posts

View attachment 76478

• Bumper is bent
  • Rear glass broken
  • Mirror missing
  • Dents at:
    • rear door at C pillar
    • D pillar
    • side of hood (slight)

One way to avoid some of that side impact damage is to replace those light weight side steps with a set of rock sliders from Shrockworks. They don't give them away but I have seen evidence of how they will hold up to significant side impacts and save themselves and the side of the vehicle. In a side impact they can prove to be worth every penny.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Waiting on my buddy to let know if his insurance will be of any assistance.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, it's official. I called my insurance today and confirmed that my insurance covers my vehicle and his covers his. I kinda thought so, but I had to check it out to be 100% sure.

So, now it's a matter of figuring out what to do. I'm torn between getting a 2WD that needs work from @xterra mom x2 or fixing this to keep the 4WD function. Mine is gonna look ratty no matter how much repair I do to it.

I'll work it out.

And thanks for all your input. It really helps!

--------------------
Edit: Clarification of my statement — Insurance covers the vehicle, not the driver. My insurance does not extend to any car I borrow, and theirs doesn't extend to the damage they caused. So, sadly, there is no coverage for this damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From one Xterra lover to you! Yes, ice is the worst, In my 74 years I have totalled two vehicles on ice, one a Jeep rollover from ice on a mountainside, one a Volvo multi boomerang over an icy bridge. Glad to be alive!

Whenever I see the word 'loaned' or 'borrowed' I immediately think 'insurance'. So, what is your insurance? I now will have to remind myself to ask anyone wanting to borrow my car if they are willing to pay the deductible if they have an accident. It used to be 500 and then I upped it to 1000 to save money.

Thanks also for the reminder that I definitely need to ask things of the insurance company! Would the upgrades I have made to my SUV be covered? or just the standard condition, as had happened to me in a little trailer that insurance only paid me 1/4 of what it cost to replace! How about the Jackery and solar panels? Etc.... Best of luck!

I am hoping she or your buddy is honest and conscientious enough to pay the deductible. :) 💪🌈🧡

·
Registered
11 Posts
We are thinking the motor got water logged.
I am in the middle of replacing my motor with one from the wrecking yard. It is really not that hard if you have the tools, talent (or you can look at YouTube videos and review the FSM), and space (I got 1 side of our 2 car garage, you can guess who has the other half :D).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From one Xterra lover to you! Yes, ice is the worst, In my 74 years I have totalled two vehicles on ice, one a Jeep rollover from ice on a mountainside, one a Volvo multi boomerang over an icy bridge. Glad to be alive!

Whenever I see the word 'loaned' or 'borrowed' I immediately think 'insurance'. So, what is your insurance? I now will have to remind myself to ask anyone wanting to borrow my car if they are willing to pay the deductible if they have an accident. It used to be 500 and then I upped it to 1000 to save money.

Thanks also for the reminder that I definitely need to ask things of the insurance company! Would the upgrades I have made to my SUV be covered? or just the standard condition, as had happened to me in a little trailer that insurance only paid me 1/4 of what it cost to replace! How about the Jackery and solar panels? Etc.... Best of luck!

I am hoping she or your buddy is honest and conscientious enough to pay the deductible. :) 💪🌈🧡
I apologize for being unclear in my original post/statement. My Xterra is covered by my PLPD, aka liability only. Mine won't cover the damage, and neither will his. I have edited my post accordingly.

I also really appreciate your input. It makes perfect sense.

According to my agent, insurance covers a vehicle, no matter who is driving. It does not extend to whatever is being borrowed. When I said, "my insurance covers my vehicle", I was trying to share that only MY insurance would cover any damage, if it covers any at all, and my PLPD doesn't.

The valuable lesson I've learned at this point is that I will make sure to get an agreement in writing if I ever loan my car again. It'll simply state that the borrower is aware that their insurance is responsible for any damage, and if it fails to cover it fully, then they are personally responsible monetarily. It seems to many who are responsible that everyone should feel that way, but I've found that not everyone does.

I, too, hope my buddy will do the right thing. He's not flush with money so it could take a while.
----------------

For those unsure of what I mean by PLPD, it's what I learned many years ago and stands for Public Liability and Property Damage.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am in the middle of replacing my motor with one from the wrecking yard. It is really not that hard if you have the tools, talent (or you can look at YouTube videos and review the FSM), and space (I got 1 side of our 2 car garage, you can guess who has the other half :D).
I have no garage where I live. My gravel driveway is 1 car long, 3 cars wide.

I've done an engine removal/install before, but it was no fun. I used 3 long steel poles tied together with chain, and to lift/lower it, I used my ratcheting lever-action winch. After lifting the engine out, I had to roll the car backwards.

I wouldn't mind a carport at all, and a garage would be a delight!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The valuable lesson I've learned at this point is that I will make sure to get an agreement in writing if I ever loan my car again. It'll simply state that the borrower is aware that their insurance is responsible for any damage, and if it fails to cover it fully, then they are personally responsible monetarily. It seems to many who are responsible that everyone should feel that way, but I've found that not everyone does.

I, too, hope my buddy will do the right thing. He's not flush with money so it could take a while.
Yikes, sure wish insurance were covering it! Hmm, shouldn't the driver, rather than your buddy, be offering to pay?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yikes, sure wish insurance were covering it! Hmm, shouldn't the driver, rather than your buddy, be offering to pay?
I spoke with my buddy before loaning it, so I'm going through him. Both of us knew up front that it was for her to get to and from work, and that she's a better driver than he is. It was his wife who slid on black ice, and then not long afterward 3 more cars ended up in the same predicament. They live in the same apartment with an adult son and all 3 are gainfully employed. It a fairly large apartment, too!

I'm doing my best to keep him as a friend regardless of the damage, although there's a good chance that free car repairs going forward will cease until such time as my repairs are completed and paid for. Heck, I'm even willing to pay half without any griping, since I knew going in that this could happen. I just didn't prepare well enough by getting it in writing that we both understood where we both stood.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts