Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Is Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 good for high mileage xterra?

8K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  echo_nine 
#1 ·
Hi! I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra with 81500 miles. I just bought it 3 months ago, and im planning on switching it to a full synthetic oil. I was looking for Valvoline Max Life full synthetic, but the guys at o reilly said that valvoline stopped making that brand. even though i still see the brand on the valvoline website. So i bought the Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 instead, is this good for my X? or should i get a a different high mileage synthethic oil?

#3 ·
Max life is still around.. not sure about the full sun max life but the regular blended max life.

I just did a Valvoline full syn oil change in our X with 133K on it.. the only downside to the synthetics is they can make places currently blocked by sludge and crap open up and may leak by a bit, but other than that its always been fine (run that in my accord which has nearly 200k)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

#7 ·
I used to use max life but it is getting harder to find. Last time a switched to shell rotella t6 synthetic. Its a 5-40 but so far the x is happy with it. Runs smoother then it was on the max life. Plus its $20 fir a gallon jug at wally world. I've been using the non synthetic in my bikes for years without issues.

Read up on it here if you'd like
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html#Oil

#8 · (Edited)
Max life is still around.. not sure about the full sun max life but the regular blended max life.

I just did a Valvoline full syn oil change in our X with 133K on it.. the only downside to the synthetics is they can make places currently blocked by sludge and crap open up and may leak by a bit, but other than that its always been fine (run that in my accord which has nearly 200k)

heres the link of the full synthethic Max Life.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ap?ck=Search_N1188_-1_3062&pt=N1188&ppt=C0252

they have it online. but they dont have it in stores. ive checked autozones too.

#10 ·
I used to use max life but it is getting harder to find. Last time a switched to shell rotella t6 synthetic. Its a 5-40 but so far the x is happy with it. Runs smoother then it was on the max life. Plus its $20 fir a gallon jug at wally world. I've been using the non synthetic in my bikes for years without issues.

I dont think we have Wally World here in LA. haha! but ill check out the shell rotella. should i use a 5w-40 on my X already at 81000?

#11 ·
Mines at 140k and it sure didn't seem to reject the idea. Usually i've read its the sooner the better when switching to synthetic. Many of the old wives tells about oil leaks because of it are no longer true with the current synthetics. But i do believe its still said not to go back to regular oil once you do.

#12 ·
I've heard good things about WIX... I'm currently using the Bosch long distance or whatever its called (you can get it and the Valvoline full syn at advance for $29.99). I can't say I've seen the Bosch on any of the oil filter tear down sites.. or if I did I forgot about seeing it. I know a few had cut open WIX to review

#13 ·
I've also heard good things about WIX. It's what I have on right now (5 quarts Penzoil Platinum syn and a WIX filter for $30!), but it's hard to say how well it's working lol

#16 ·
I'm Castrol but max life is still there I got a shipment at work today but they maybe trying to transfer it to that recycled crap....which may not be crap considering I've never seen Valvoline put there name on something crappy but still I put it in my boat not my X when I got a free bottle

#17 · (Edited)
I'm Castrol but max life is still there I got a shipment at work today but they maybe trying to transfer it to that recycled crap....which may not be crap considering I've never seen Valvoline put there name on something crappy but still I put it in my boat not my X when I got a free bottle
yeah im not sure about that recycled oil too. where do you work at? you guys had max life full synthethic?

#18 ·
Autozone.........That stuff was in my boat for 5 seconds because it was the first start in 6 years as I just inherited it

#19 ·
yes I probably put up 6 case today from truck and had a few left.

#20 ·
I've been using Castrol High Mileage formula. I've used it on a '93 Path with over 185,000 miles and didn't do regular oil changes and the motor is still running. The frame rails are shot, but the motor still runs.

I now have an '02 X with 105,000k, which I just did the oil change back in June and used Castrol High Mileage with a FRAM High Mileage filter. I usually add some Z-Max (or Lucas) engine formula and fuel formula at every oil change. I've never read anything bad about it and it seems to work fine.

I had just seen the Royal Purple video and I've seen posts about AMSOIL. But AMSOIL I've never seen locally and Royal Purple I've seen in KMart.

Has anyone used anything else other than Mobil1, Castrol, Quaker State, etc?

#21 ·
I ran amsoil or mobile one full syn (I think at one point it was called tri syn) in my prelude I Solo II raced every other weekend and also drove to Pittsburgh at least once a week in (iirc 150 miles round trip).

#22 ·
i just did my oil change. ended up returning the valvoline synpower, and traded them for mobil1 full syn high mileage. used WIX oil filter. installed K&N Air Filter. this was my first time under the hood, and actually done something. when i got under the hood. i saw an oil spot at the transmission. right at the top of the oil tank. does this mean my transmission is leaking? if so, how can i prevent this from getting worst?

#23 ·

sorry to go off topic of the valvoline... but how is that rotella t6 stuff? I am thinking about switching to that next oil change.. I am also using maxlife currently...

#24 ·
this doesnt answer your rotella question, but i think theyre getting rid of the Max Life Full Synthethic. that was the one i originally wanted to use for my car. theyre being replaced by the 50% recycled oil max life. have you guys been using the full syn max life or the synthethic blend?

#25 ·
this doesnt answer your rotella question, but i think theyre getting rid of the Max Life Full Synthethic. that was the one i originally wanted to use for my car. theyre being replaced by the 50% recycled oil max life. have you guys been using the full syn max life or the synthethic blend?
my current fill is maxlife semi syn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.