Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through tons of threads on here looking to see if in fact there was a "Best" year or not. Didn't find much, need some help, opinions welcome!

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts
I'm not a 2nd gen owner but from what i've learned i'd stay away from 05. They've had issues with trans fluid mixing with coolant because of the radiator, timing chain guide and the rear diff spider gears in the rear.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright Thanks, that makes a lot of sense since its the first year the 2nd gen came out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh, yeah don't get me wrong, I love mine... But for future purposes I wanted to know more about the 2nd gens, and if they were even worth getting over the one I have... :huh:

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts
Heh, yeah don't get me wrong, I love mine... But for future purposes I wanted to know more about the 2nd gens, and if they were even worth getting over the one I have... :huh:
I would love to get a 2nd gen just for more power to tow things around and better MPG's but i could never wheel one. I would break it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have 40K on my 06. its been decent so far other than TPMS sensors. I have replaced one and another has been out for about a year now.

I would say 10 and up would be the best bets, the timing belt issue was taken care of earlier and I think 09 was the last year covered under the crosscontamination issue product alert.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to get a 2nd gen just for more power to tow things around and better MPG's but i could never wheel one. I would break it.
Heh, why's that? Are they soft or something?

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts
Heh, why's that? Are they soft or something?
The front diff case is aluminum and breaks easily along with the diff's (front and rear) To solve this you should do the Titan Swap (expensive)

The fist Gen's diff's are indestructible! The steering is weak but the parts are cheap for the most part and can be changed on the trail.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
I would get one to DD and to wheel on the beach and thats it.

I would look at 2007 and newer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mid 2007 they beefed up the front spider gears but they can still break. ARB now has a locker for the R180 that replaces the weak gears.

Mike, you break your first gen. LOL

You can wheel 2nd gens pretty hard if you are smart about it, I wasn't so smart and paid the price.

I would look at 2008 and up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The front diff case is aluminum and breaks easily along with the diff's (front and rear) To solve this you should do the Titan Swap (expensive)

The fist Gen's diff's are indestructible! The steering is weak but the parts are cheap for the most part and can be changed on the trail.
so would a titan swap on a 2nd gen be more expensive than SAS on a 1st gen?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And thanks for the input, I wasn't sure about 2009 or newer because of a shrock-like bumper...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts
Mid 2007 they beefed up the front spider gears but they can still break. ARB now has a locker for the R180 that replaces the weak gears.

Mike, you break your first gen. LOL

You can wheel 2nd gens pretty hard if you are smart about it, I wasn't so smart and paid the price.

I would look at 2008 and up.
Can you imagine what i would do to a 2nd gen? I brake cheap parts!

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts