Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
New Pro 4X owner here, have a strange situation here, thought I would seek the advice of the more experienced than me. :)

I purchased the Xterra new in October 2015, ran it for a few months with BFG K02s and loved the ride. Two months ago I had Nokian LT2s winter tires installed. Apparently they are 10-ply, but definitely run quite softer than the ATs.

Today I took out 3 family members to dinner, average size people, no one over 200 pounds.
What is bizarre is that I could hear the rear of the truck, at least what sounded like bottoming out on dips in the road! I'd ride over a dip or deep manhole or there would be a banging sound coming from the back, could even feel it in my seat. I don't recall hearing this with the K02s, which is why I thought I would ask here.

So my question is does the Pro 4x tend to have a rear that bottoms out easily or could it be the winter tires?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, bottoms out easily.
Easy fix replace stock rear bump stops with these: http://timbren.com/active-off-road-bumpstops/

Have them and it really helped, especially when loaded with gear or people plus even if you later upgrade the rear leaf springs, the bump stops will still help.
Ah well that makes sense. I will have order these. Still find the tires run too rubbery and week though.

What leaf springs have you replaced the stock ones with?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi
New Pro 4X owner here, have a strange situation here, thought I would seek the advice of the more experienced than me. :)

I purchased the Xterra new in October 2015, ran it for a few months with BFG K02s and loved the ride. Two months ago I had Nokian LT2s winter tires installed. Apparently they are 10-ply, but definitely run quite softer than the ATs.

Today I took out 3 family members to dinner, average size people, no one over 200 pounds.
What is bizarre is that I could hear the rear of the truck, at least what sounded like bottoming out on dips in the road! I'd ride over a dip or deep manhole or there would be a banging sound coming from the back, could even feel it in my seat. I don't recall hearing this with the K02s, which is why I thought I would ask here.

So my question is does the Pro 4x tend to have a rear that bottoms out easily or could it be the winter tires?
Logic tells me that softer tires would make your suspension less likely to bottom out than stiffer tires. With stiffer tires, more of the motion would be transmitted thru the tires and have to be absorbed by the suspension. Softer tires would absorb part of that energy, and thus, have the opposite effect. is it possible that your leaf springs are a bit "stickier" with the new tires, and that is where the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Logic tells me that softer tires would make your suspension less likely to bottom out than stiffer tires. With stiffer tires, more of the motion would be transmitted thru the tires and have to be absorbed by the suspension. Softer tires would absorb part of that energy, and thus, have the opposite effect. is it possible that your leaf springs are a bit "sticker" with the new tires, and that is where the noise is coming from?
I'm following your logic, but not sure what you mean by the leaf springs being "sticker"?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious what made you decide to swap out the ko2's?
As much as I love the KO2's, I found them to be deadly on ice. The truck would just not come to a stop reasonably fast enough. The Hakka LT2s are very impressive on that statistic.
The way our winters have been in the last 10+ years we just don't get much snow anymore, it's all ice. Mind you it's been somewhat of a not-so-cold winter so less ice than usual, so now it's mostly asphalt.

That being said, the Hakka LT2's are driving me crazy. It's a tire that creates vibrations in the truck at every single imperfection in the road. It's like a continuous vibration that never allows for a somewhat relaxed ride (it is truck after all). It is exhausting. They are going back tomorrow and I will put the KO2's back on and deal with it. I doubt the store will offer me another type of tire to try as the LT2's are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm following your logic, but not sure what you mean by the leaf springs being "sticker"?
As leaf springs bend, the individual leaves slide along one another. The contacting surfaces aren't super smooth however, so there is some degree of "stickiness" involved. Road grit and grime between the leaves will add to the effect. Occasionally it's possible to feel or hear a "pop" as a leaf momentarily "sticks" then begins sliding again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had K02's and also found them horrible on ice here in buffalo. I swapped them for the General grabber AT2 and found them much better on ice and very similar in other conditions i did find the AT2 wear out faster then BFG's

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Here in Western Washington ice doesn't stay on the road very long.
My buddies X rode really smooth with the KO2's and since they are a newer tire just wanted to learn more about them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As leaf springs bend, the individual leaves slide along one another. The contacting surfaces aren't super smooth however, so there is some degree of "stickiness" involved. Road grit and grime between the leaves will add to the effect. Occasionally it's possible to feel or hear a "pop" as a leaf momentarily "sticks" then begins sliding again.
Ok thanks for the additional info. I haven't notice this, if it has been doing this, will pay more attention to see if this could be it.
And I am having the Timbren's installed. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, thanks. Here in Western Washington ice doesn't stay on the road very long.
My buddies X rode really smooth with the KO2's and since they are a newer tire just wanted to learn more about them.
KO2's are a fantastic tire everywhere except ice, I agree with BadNewsMike.
They are not fantastic in light snow, but deep snow no problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - had the Manager from the Tire/Mechanic Center test drive my truck and he confirmed without a doubt that the Nokian LT2's were way to stiff for the Xterra.
Not much choice to being with in this tire size, and to boot at this time of year, but he's able to get a set of Toyo Observe GSI-5 that is a 4-ply and we'll take it from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.