Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this true? I was thinking about upgrading my 2003 to a 2012-13 or so. May have to rethink that strategy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's true. New Xs are being snatched up too. The good news is that there still seems to be a healthy supply of '12/'13s right now (I guess that depends on where you live).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked sort of the same question in another theread, got no response. I am thinking of selling my 2003 and getting a 12 or 13 if the price/color/mileage/model are correct. If i HAD to do it today, I saw an S model exactly what I was looking for. I'll travel up to 200 mile to buy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well if you want a real off-road SUV, then IMO 2010 to 2012 Xterras are currently, by far, the best bargains on the market.

All the kinks have been worked out, no SMOD issues, with regular maintenance it'll have smooth sailing to old age.

You can find Pro-4x models with medium mileage for nicely under $20K, low mileage for not much more than that.

Try finding a comparable JKU (comparable meaning with equal or more off-road prowess, which means Rubicon) or 4Runner in that price range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never had any dislikes about my current X, I think I need to sell/trade while it still has some value left in it. I'm at that point where you either drive it to 200K on the clock and keep doing the minor repairs or get out of it and into something up dated. I have had the factory neoprene seat covers on it since 200 miles, the cloth interior looks brand new. No dents dings or scratches on the exterior, the plastic looks faded(paint will fix that) and the metal plate across the rear bumper has rust on it, easy replace there. Headliner is falling. So the vehicle still has good value, like $5K.

I've been mulling this over since summer, I hate getting into a car payment again. Was thinking about a Explorer Sport model, too car like, Jeep Cherokee, bad reliability, Jeep Wrangler, too noisy. I like the X and would do it again if push comes to shove.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go for it! I don't know what the future holds for used X demand, but right now the sweet spot for the 2nd Gen X is definitely '10, '11, '12.

While still awesome, it seems to me that anything after 2012 is still selling high (as it should), but doesn't offer any hugely benefit other than heated seats and lower miles.

·
Professional
1,559 Posts
Go for it! I don't know what the future holds for used X demand, but right now the sweet spot for the 2nd Gen X is definitely '10, '11, '12.

While still awesome, it seems to me that anything after 2012 is still selling high (as it should), but doesn't offer any hugely benefit other than heated seats and lower miles.

Picked up my 2012 back in May when I upgraded from my 2007. I paid just under $16000 for a Pro-4X with about 80000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am very sure this is the last year for xterras. I looked at an article about xterras future. Apparently their sells figures are incredibly low. They did good for their first 5 years or so but after the 2010 model their number started slumping dramatically. Not only that but nissan has given up on xterras. When was the last time you saw an xterra commercial? Never!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup. Nissan pretty much milked them for whatever they could, then bailed out on that market segment. Ultimately I can't say I blame them (but some marketing/advertising in the last 10 years may be helped).

But it's a dying segment. Nobody wants these cars anymore, most people are fine w/ CUVs. Toyota cancelled the FJ, and the 4Runner isn't exactly selling like mad (although still better than the X did). Jeep will always have Wrangler. Although it's a BOF SUV, it's still kind a a different beast from a marketing standpoint.

The X is a victim of changing consumer demand, and of Nissan deciding that it's not worth updating in order to meet new regulations and compete with cars of a different class. I'm sure none of us like this decision, but wrong or right, it is a business decision they made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts