Nissan XTerra Forum banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There are some people here that put 40 miles on their car per day commuting. I'm not that guy. ;)
LOL My wife has a huge commute of 2 miles to get to work in the morning. Her 2008 Highlander has about 72k miles on it.

I'm not much for buying the latest and greatest just to keep up with the Joneses, so I'll probably have the X for another 10 to 20 years if not more. Barring a catastrophe (knock on wood) the only reason I see myself giving up the X is that parts just get too damn tough to find, and I definitely see that happening over the next 10 to 20 years as more parts are discontinued and junkyard parts get older and older.

·
Registered
'03 Xterra SE 2WD, 175K
46 Posts
I don't usually.run any vehicle without a thermostat I am trying what others on here has told me try to eliminate the thermostat causing my problem. As far as where I got the thermostat it was from Nissan. I didn't say the thermostat was a 190° one I was stating that it started opening and my thermometer was reading like 190° roughly
Yeah, i got that & not accusing you of implying otherwise. I just wondered what the part # is for the one you tested in water - 21200-V720A? I'd like to get the highest temp t-stat available & if the Nissan one you got might let mine get a bit hotter till it opens, i'd like to try it. I'm not trying to commit you to any specs or performance.

As far as running without a t-stat installed, i suppose the water pump runs the coolant through faster at higher engine RPMs. Maybe there's a threshold at which the time in the radiator can't keep up with the heat generated, but it's likely contingent on several other factors; outside temp, speed of air going through the radiator, other conditions...

Every car I've ever driven causes it to cool down, not get hotter. In my experience, moving the coolant slower makes it overheat, not moving it faster.
& those have always been with a t-stat installed?

There's probably scenarios where one vehicle could run cooler w/out a t-stat under certain conditions and another situation where it, or another vehicle, might run hotter.

:unsure:

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,346 Posts
... snip ...
As far as running without a t-stat installed, i suppose the water pump runs the coolant through faster at higher engine RPMs. Maybe there's a threshold at which the time in the radiator can't keep up with the heat generated, but it's likely contingent on several other factors; outside temp, speed of air going through the radiator, other conditions...

& those have always been with a t-stat installed?

There's probably scenarios where one vehicle could run cooler w/out a t-stat under certain conditions and another situation where it, or another vehicle, might run hotter.

:unsure:
Yes, with a t-stat, in full "normal running mode".

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Well I haven't had a chance to put the thermostat in it yet but I can make a new post when I get the chance to work on it again . Been driving it time to time and it hasn't ran hot yet.
Glad to hear it. Sounds like you are out of the woods. No need to close it out on my account. Just thought you had put a wrap on it possibly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thanks man . I am sorry not to post in a while had a death in the family and haven't been able to work on the car . I will post as soon as I can get to it . But as of now I have drove it around some and still no over heating as of yet

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Well I bought a Innova obd2 scanner today and I hooked it up to look at live data while driving. Anyway I went out and drove around for a hour and by the scanner the car never got over 160° mostly stayed at 154° but when I was pulling a steep hill it did rise to 160 it was only like 65° here but I would think if it was going to run hot it would have

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I hope I can say that the radiator took care of the issue I haven't put the thermostat back in yet but I did put it in hot water again and it opened up so hopefully when I put it back in it will.still be fine.I will post as soon as I get it done

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Well I bought a Innova obd2 scanner today and I hooked it up to look at live data while driving. Anyway I went out and drove around for a hour and by the scanner the car never got over 160° mostly stayed at 154° but when I was pulling a steep hill it did rise to 160 it was only like 65° here but I would think if it was going to run hot it would have
It's nice to have the scanner so you can dig deep and get clues or maybe even some answers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Yeah well so far in a hours drive at 65° outside all I saw was mostly 154° until I put it under a bit of strain on a big hill car was turning 3000 rpms for a little bit and 160° was as hot as it got .

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have had to monitor some things after working on my instrument cluster and putting the needles back on. I thought they were in the right places, but apparently not.

On my 2004 3.3L with a stock single-row radiator and a 180 t-stat installed, it runs 190-192 around town or on the freeway. When you put your t-stat back in, expect the actual temp to be about 10° higher than the t-stat rating.

I have an SC-version radiator ordered to ensure that it won't overheat while 4-wheelin' this summer.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
I have had to monitor some things after working on my instrument cluster and putting the needles back on. I thought they were in the right places, but apparently not.

On my 2004 3.3L with a stock single-row radiator and a 180 t-stat installed, it runs 190-192 around town or on the freeway. When you put your t-stat back in, expect the actual temp to be about 10° higher than the t-stat rating.

I have an SC-version radiator ordered to ensure that it won't overheat while 4-wheelin' this summer.
Boy he's going to be upset and overheated just like the xterra if the thermostat or water pump fail. Imagine if he pokes a hole in that new SC radiator!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Boy he's going to be upset and overheated just like the xterra if the thermostat or water pump fail. Imagine if he pokes a hole in that new SC radiator!
On that note, I also have a timing belt kit on the way, which includes a water pump. I sure hope there aren't any holes in it or that the t-stat dies! Where I have gone 4-wheelin' several times is about 90 miles away, so I sure don't wanna have to tow it home from there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
On that note, I also have a timing belt kit on the way, which includes a water pump. I sure hope there aren't any holes in it or that the t-stat dies! Where I have gone 4-wheelin' several times is about 90 miles away, so I sure don't wanna have to tow it home from there.
No I don't think I would like to be in that position myself. Good luck hope it all goes well

121 - 140 of 142 Posts