Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra 3.3l the car will go for a few days driving no problem then all of a sudden it starts to run hot . Then after a few days it will be good for a while then it does it again. I used head gasket leak on the radiator never turned any other color than blue so that checked ok no bubbles in the radiator. I have replaced the hoses, thermostat, water pump, radiator, fan and fan clutch and every now.and then it will still run hot. Car doesn't miss, and no coolant getting in the oil so I am lost. I need some help bad on this

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,346 Posts
Answer @RacerXXL first, but I'll bet he's gonna say to check the fan clutch for excessive free spinning if it's hot mostly at idle. But you already replaced it - with new or JY parts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed new fan and fan clutch. To describe somewhat that's happening I drove from my house to my friend house a 15 minute drive the car ran cool no problem I was there for 3 hours left and came straight home well all of a sudden about 1 mile from my house the temperature gauge started to rise quickly to hot and the car was actually running hot . I drove up no problem came home and it.runs.hot I don't understand because I drove it 3 or so days after that to other places and it run fine just now and then it runs hot the temperature gauge will rise quickly and the engine is boiling over. I drove today for 20 minutes straight and never had a issues

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it blowing antifreeze in the overflow jug. I have changed the thermostat, radiator and top, water pump , hoses, fan, and fan clutch . Also I used the Airlift vacuum coolant filling tool so no problem with being bleed properly still has this issue after all that. If it would run hot every time I drove it would be easy to find but I don't have any idea what would cause it to just run hot one day and not the next. I drove around yesterday for over 25 minutes never got hot it is only sometimes

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Yes it blowing antifreeze in the overflow jug. I have changed the thermostat, radiator and top, water pump , hoses, fan, and fan clutch . Also I used the Airlift vacuum coolant filling tool so no problem with being bleed properly still has this issue after all that. If it would run hot every time I drove it would be easy to find but I don't have any idea what would cause it to just run hot one day and not the next. I drove around yesterday for over 25 minutes never got hot it is only sometimes
I'd be pulling that thermostat and testing it in a pot of boiling water to see if it opens smoothly and closes. I would repeat that process a few times to see if it hangs closed.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Before changing the hoses did you ever squeeze the old hoses and hear a crackling sound? If so, that would be scale build up on the inside of the hoses. Unfortunately that crackling sound is the sound of it breaking apart and forming small to large chunks that can get caught in the radiator and plug it. It's possible that you're radiator is just not allowing the flow needed at all times. WHen I bought my Frontier I had an overheat issue. It would only overheat at highway speeds or going up large hills (mountain passes really). Basically the engine was working harder and producing more heat than the radiator could handle, but it would be fine around town. I swapped out the water pump, the fan clutch, the thermostat. During this time I had to drive with the windows down and the heater turned all the way up, which brought the temp to where it needed to be. Nothing helped until I replaced the radiator. Haven't had an issue since.

If you do replace the radiator I recommend getting one meant for the Supercharged Xterra. It will fit just fine, but they have a double core rather than a single, which gives it a little more cooling capacity.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
The hoses I removed was real soft and no build up in them also radiator is brand new as well
So I would suggest you get a "feel" for how hot or cold the upper and lower radiator hoses are to the touch in the different scenarios. When you aren't having problems with the overheating; and when you are experiencing elevated heat levels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a temp gun so I will take a look at them in these situations and see what I come up with. I really don't believe that it's a head gasket I would not think it would be intermittently running hot

·
Registered
2000 Xterra 2WD Gold
100 Posts
I'm not really sure what could be causing this issue but the only way to really rule out a cracked block or head gasket is to use a block test kit. If you don't have one I know that NAPA and O'Reilly's both carry it.

It sounds to me like a cracked head personally but that's only because I have dealt with this type of issue and using head gasket sealer was probably the wrong move.

One of the things I would do is pull the radiator out and inspect it for buildup since it is brand new, it sounds like the stop leaking added might have clogged some passages. If there is build up in the radiator put the radiator cap on, and mix up some CLR cleaner and leave it in there for about 20 minutes shake it up a couple times then flush it three or four times with tap water.

If the block tester comes back with any type of combustion gas leakage you have two major options: top end rebuild which might include head replacement if a machine shop can't plan the head or if there is a crack in it, or replacement engine such as junkyard or reman. As we're both located in Virginia if you have any sort of problems I wouldn't mind doing what I can to help if you're located close to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks I appreciate that and I will check the radiator for blockage if so I have another brand new one here in the box I will put that in it.I.also did the chemical test on the radiator and no exhaust gases was found

·
Registered
2000 Xterra 2WD Gold
100 Posts
Based on what you're saying I think you can safely rule out that being a problem. I'm not exactly sure what could be causing the problem but I would guess it's something to do with the radiator and or cap. For radiator caps I tend to prefer OEM whenever possible but I found that the major aftermarket brands tend to be okay

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I replaced the radiator top and the oem Nissan thermostat I drove around for about a hour with no issues car ran real cool. I run the crap out of it to try to get it to run hot but it never did so I did another chemical test on the radiator and tested fine and no bubbles in the radiator or in the chemical tester. I am hoping it will be ok now but I have been through this before. A few days later and it will probably all of a sudden run hot again but anyway I am hoping for the best.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts