Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 XE V6 has been running bad as of late. Codes show misfires in 2 and 6, as well as the knock sensor, and crank position sensor (If I remember right).

Last week took the plunge and replaced the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking, and took the opportunity to change out all the spark plugs since I had the intake plenum off. New plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Still ran rough like a dropped cylinder (explains the misfires), but then I put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in, and a half mile down the road everything smoothed out. Still had the check engine light, but was no longer flashing. Ran great for the next 30 miles or so. Get home, shut if off thinking we're headed in the right direction.

Next day I fire it up, and instantly back to dropped cylinders. Shut it off and come back a few minutes later. Started again, and ran smooth. Drove it, and about a mile down the road start experiencing dropped cylinder(s) again.

So, it seems that the misfires are almost random. Consistently now, it will start fine, then a few minutes later start to get rough and eventually flash the check engine light.

Maybe the injectors are clogged?

Spark plugs were very 'gunky' when I pulled the old ones out. I'm having trouble diagnosing what the problem actually is, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Fuel filter was replaced 2 years ago so I can almost positively rule that out. I will check the timing later today, but what else can I do to diagnose the issue? I'm hoping I don't have to tear down the intake again (that was a real pain in the ***).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update/info:

This morning, started it up, ran rough. SES flashing after RPM's hit about 2,000. Drove about 20 miles to work, same rough idle/drive/flashing SES. A few hours later I started it up on my break, and ran it for 20 minutes. Same result. Couple hours later, left to go home, and it started up great, idled smooth, and was able to drive all the way home without any rough idling or driving, and no flashing SES.

I ran it during my break hoping it was a fuel related issue, and to push more fuel and injector cleaner into the injectors. Not sure why it ran 'perfect' on the drive home, but rough going to work and on break.

I'm about to head to the parts store and get a timing light and see where that sits.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you made sure your distributor isn't failing/starting to fail...it could have a bad bearing and it isn't all the time that it is causing issues...open it up and take out the rotor, and the lower parts and see if there is some debris, I think it is like white dust or something, to be safe...I have to check mine because I just noticed it making some weird noises while checking timing

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts