Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2004 XE v6 Automatic 4-speed that kinda fell into my lap while looking for an older beater for my wife. To be clear the Xterra is MINE. I am a avid fan of all things driven on wheels with motors and do as much mechanical work by myself as my current tool situation will allow.

My problem: I'm finding that occasionally, 1/3 to 1/2 the time, when I start the X I will hear the buzzing/grinding from the front. I call it both because it reminds me of the sound my s10 made when my center axle disconnect didn't fully disengage or fully engage. The sound increases and decreases with vehicle speed and will go away if I shift the transfer case into 4HI and will stay gone for the duration of my trip when shifted back into 2HI.

Does anyone have any thoughts to what could be happening?
Thanks!

My xterra is stock right now, and has a lot of OEM parts still on it such as the original timing belt and fuel filter. You don't even want to know how bad the LCAs are. I'm working on doing all the maintenance that people don't know to do, people refuse to do, or people are to cheap to do. Eventually I plan on making this truck a half decent climbing/off-roading rig.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts