Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Xterra. XE. V6. 3.3L. A/C is intermittently cold and warm. Plenty cold when it works. But especially driving in hot wx (100 deg or more), it will stop blowing cold air. I can turn it off at the dash and wait a few minutes, then turn it back on and it will be cold again. But after a bit the air is warm again. Compressor is not cycling on its own. Likely getting too warm. Have already replaced the thermal control amplifier and A/C switch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
818 Posts
When it stops blowing cold pull over and check to see if the compressor clutch is engaged. There is a possibility that the clutch is worn and is slipping. If the clutch is spinning, but not as fast as the pulley then the clutch is slipping. If the clutch is not moving at all then it is not engaged and the problem could be a bad relay, a bad temp sensor, or a blocked drain on the evaporator that's causing it to ice up. If the evap core ices up, the air cant get through to be cooled. When you turn the system off the ice starts to melt and then switch it back on and it cools again. You may have to remove your glove box to check the evap core. Also check the drain that goes from below the evap to under the vehicle (you know, where the water drips out while the ac is running on a hot day). Another cause of icing up is a bad temp sensor.

Remove the glove box and learn how the shroud for the evaporator comes apart. With the glove box out, but the ducting etc all together drive the vehicle until the AC stops working. Then remove the shroud from the evaporator and see if it's iced. From there you can try and trouble shoot the different possible causes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it stops blowing cold pull over and check to see if the compressor clutch is engaged. There is a possibility that the clutch is worn and is slipping. If the clutch is spinning, but not as fast as the pulley then the clutch is slipping. If the clutch is not moving at all then it is not engaged and the problem could be a bad relay, a bad temp sensor, or a blocked drain on the evaporator that's causing it to ice up. If the evap core ices up, the air cant get through to be cooled. When you turn the system off the ice starts to melt and then switch it back on and it cools again. You may have to remove your glove box to check the evap core. Also check the drain that goes from below the evap to under the vehicle (you know, where the water drips out while the ac is running on a hot day). Another cause of icing up is a bad temp sensor.

Remove the glove box and learn how the shroud for the evaporator comes apart. With the glove box out, but the ducting etc all together drive the vehicle until the AC stops working. Then remove the shroud from the evaporator and see if it's iced. From there you can try and trouble shoot the different possible causes.
Great advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Intermittent problems with the AC in 1st gens... I would look at the thermistor. I've been through two of them in the 18 years that I've owned my x.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the advice from Satito. I had the exact same problem on my 2001 starting around 250k miles and it was because the clutch disc was worn. Pull the clutch, remove the spacers, and put it all back together. Did mine two or three years ago and been working fine ever since. Never even break into the system so don’t have to worry about recharging.

Lessons learned: #1 - Use the correct clutch puller to remove the clutch. Makes it quick and easy. Don’t waste time trying to use 2- or 3-jaw puller. #2 - Do not attempt to install clutch by using center bolt to pull clutch into place. The bolt will snap, and you will then spend hours removing the broken bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts