Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Planet Audio PNV9674RC head unit into my 2003 Xterra SE. I used the Metra 70-7551 adapter harness and it was necessary to use the PAC SNI-1 RCA Ground Loop Noise Isolators to get rid of the pop and hum. I also installed the ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control adapter to connect the steering wheel audio controls to the new head unit.

The speaker wires on Socket B of the radio will not be used. Speaker connections are made using the RCA connectors on Socket A. The Ground loop isolators will connect to the Socket A connectors and the RCA connector on the Metra harness will connect to the other side of the isolators.

You will need to use the following wires from the ASWC-1
AWCS-1 - Gray/Red to Yellow/Black on car.
AWCS-1 - White/Green and Yellow/Red on car to chassis ground.
Radio - Key A to Brown wire on AWCS-1 female adapter
Radio - Key B to Brown/White on AWCS-1 female adapter
Radio - Key ground not needed..

I Installed the GPS antenna in on the top center of the dash and get great signal return.

For rear camera connect the cameras RCA video connector to the camera RCA connector on Socket A.
You will need to connect the Reverse wire from Socket B to a reverse positive wire (under the kick panel on the driver side Yellow/Red wire)
The brake wire on socket B goes to the emergency brake wire

Connect the cameras power wire to reverse positive wire at the harness for the rear reverse light. Ground wire to ground. Yellow RCA to camera.

So far very pleased. You can adjust the sound to shake the doors off. And the GPS has a lot of features.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you figured out if you can update the maps? Reading the descriptions, it doesn't sound like you can??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which year/gen of Xterra were you upgrading? My '01 badly needs an audio system upgrade, looking for intel on compatibility :)

Also, pics?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pretty easy to put in a single/double DIN head unit in ours. Just need a cheap adaptor. I bought everything on Amazon. Then if you just get some average 6.5" speakers in the doors it vastly improves the sound over the paper speakers that are in there. Super easy to do. I did it this spring with a single DIN Pioneer head/speakers and it was probably the best thing I could've done! Mine isn't anything special, but if you'd like any pointers I'd be more than happy to give them.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
279 Posts
I just installed the Planet Audio PNV9674RC head unit into my 2003 Xterra SE. I used the Metra 70-7551 adapter harness and it was necessary to use the PAC SNI-1 RCA Ground Loop Noise Isolators to get rid of the pop and hum. I also installed the ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control adapter to connect the steering wheel audio controls to the new head unit.

The speaker wires on Socket B of the radio will not be used. Speaker connections are made using the RCA connectors on Socket A. The Ground loop isolators will connect to the Socket A connectors and the RCA connector on the Metra harness will connect to the other side of the isolators.

You will need to use the following wires from the ASWC-1
AWCS-1 - Gray/Red to Yellow/Black on car.
AWCS-1 - White/Green and Yellow/Red on car to chassis ground.
Radio - Key A to Brown wire on AWCS-1 female adapter
Radio - Key B to Brown/White on AWCS-1 female adapter
Radio - Key ground not needed..

I Installed the GPS antenna in on the top center of the dash and get great signal return.

For rear camera connect the cameras RCA video connector to the camera RCA connector on Socket A.
You will need to connect the Reverse wire from Socket B to a reverse positive wire (under the kick panel on the driver side Yellow/Red wire)
The brake wire on socket B goes to the emergency brake wire

Connect the cameras power wire to reverse positive wire at the harness for the rear reverse light. Ground wire to ground. Yellow RCA to camera.

So far very pleased. You can adjust the sound to shake the doors off. And the GPS has a lot of features.
Trying to install the ASWC-1 in my 2004 Xterra as well. Unit turns on and seem to auto-program, but my button mapping is all mixed up. Volume up works. But SeekDown steering wheel button decreases volume, while volume down just causes radio to flash 'ATT'. Any ideas? Did you manually program it one button after another?

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
279 Posts
Update: figured it out. I was using alligator clips for a temporary wiring and I guess the resistance was screwing up the automatic programming. Crazy how sensitive it is. Programmed it manually and it was fine.

The reason I was using alligator clips was because I didn't want to commit to tapping and permanently connecting to the car's original wires until I confirmed it worked. With everything wired correctly (copper-to-copper) the auto programming worked fine as well. Sheesh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts