Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a trivial "repair" but figured I ask since I've already tried for way too long. The 2000 X I bought didn't have the little trim pieces on either of the front 2 interior door handles when I got it. Seems like the panel had been taken off a few times I'm sure.

So I picked up a set from the dealer but can't seem to get these damn things to pop in. Every other car I've done this on they just pop in. Am I missing some step?

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hello,

Did you get this sorted out?

I am not sure if you got the correct part. I have a 2001 and it should be the same as yours. I was under the impression that it is one piece and I am not sure what vehicle the trim that is pictured is from. It looks like the edges of the trip that is on your car has broken off. If you remove that one philips screw you will see that it is one piece part that should be changed as a whole not just the trim

·
Registered
248 Posts
I could be wrong or perhaps the clips that hold it to the door have been broken off. You may be just better off removing the door panel to see what is happening on the other side

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's 2 pieces according to the nissan parts website. The handle piece is 80670-3S500 and the bezel piece (what I'm trying to put on) is 80682-7Z001. My handle looks identical to the pics online too. I wonder if I need to just loosen that screw a bit so there is some give when I pop the bezel in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
hmmm, I will be taking my inner door panels off next week in order to replace my power window regulator as my passenger window is shot. I can get a better idea of how that would attach. I think that the outer cover you have purchased is attached to the inner door skin and does not clip in to the handle.

I will let you know and save you some trouble. My truck is a 2001 so it should be identical to yours in each and every way.

I shall keep you posted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey there! Well I finally got around to pulling my door apart to check what was up with my window not working. A side note on my repair, the window would travel about an inch up and down on its own while making a grinding noise. Took a look inside the door and my regulator cable is all messed up on the pulley that winds it up and down. Going to drop it off at a shop as they said they can just repair the cable, its about half the price of a new regulator.

In regard to that little trim piece, it should "click/snap" right into place. The 4 "anchor" points attach to the other plastic piece that is behind the door handle. When I took my door skin off the piece just snapped right out. Looking at your picture, try to rotate it 180 degrees, it will only snap into place one way as you can see the "anchor" points on the trim piece you're trying to fit are not exactly in the middle. I will take some pictures for you to help you out when I get a moment and my truck back from the shop before I end up putting my door back together. I may take my other door apart as well as I want to get my front windows tinted to match the factory tint for all the other windows. Love living in Mexico, their laws are so relaxed. No smog, no inspections, if your car rolls then its legal. Although driving here can take adjusting to, people tend to make up their own rules as they drive along.

Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's 2 pieces according to the nissan parts website. The handle piece is 80670-3S500 and the bezel piece (what I'm trying to put on) is 80682-7Z001. My handle looks identical to the pics online too. I wonder if I need to just loosen that screw a bit so there is some give when I pop the bezel in.
PS. I took out that screw you are referring to thinking it would be needed to come out with the door skin but it does not appear to do much, perhaps holds the whole door handle assembly in place

·
Registered
248 Posts
looking at your picture you are holding it the correct way. The back part goes in first, kind of push back and slides in a little tab, then the rest should just click into place when you push it in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looking at your picture you are holding it the correct way. The back part goes in first, kind of push back and slides in a little tab, then the rest should just click into place when you push it in.
Thanks gonna give this a shot this afternoon. Its strange because I don't see any kind of opening for those tabs to actually slide into.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am not sure if they wold be visible with the door skin on, on the handle itself there are little "bumps" or raised points that click into those tabs, good luck and let me know

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think I see the problem here! Thanks for the picture. Looking at it, it appears that you still have the old trim piece attached to he handle. I can see there is a line between the inside handle trim piece and what appears to be the trim piece already attached to it that you are trying to put on. Take my advice before you frustrate yourself further. Pop off the door skin and remove that little piece, then put the door skin back on and then attach the outer "ring" trim.

I think they are in good shape but may have someone slipped inside OR whoever did it last put the trim on first THEN put back your your door skin. removing the door skin is fast and easy. The Xterra and Frontier are the same, here is the youtube link that I used to take mine off to get at my window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQRqTG3rRo

its super ease, you need a Phillips screw driver, flat blade screw driver and a 10mm socket, its quick and easy, took me 10 mins to take off being rather slow and enjoying drinks while doing it =)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I see the problem here! Thanks for the picture. Looking at it, it appears that you still have the old trim piece attached to he handle. I can see there is a line between the inside handle trim piece and what appears to be the trim piece already attached to it that you are trying to put on. Take my advice before you frustrate yourself further. Pop off the door skin and remove that little piece, then put the door skin back on and then attach the outer "ring" trim.

I think they are in good shape but may have someone slipped inside OR whoever did it last put the trim on first THEN put back your your door skin. removing the door skin is fast and easy. The Xterra and Frontier are the same, here is the youtube link that I used to take mine off to get at my window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQRqTG3rRo

its super ease, you need a Phillips screw driver, flat blade screw driver and a 10mm socket, its quick and easy, took me 10 mins to take off being rather slow and enjoying drinks while doing it =)
You were 100% correct. The previous owner had snapped them on and put the door skin on top of them :wacko:

On the plus side, I did notice the speakers are definitely aftermarket so at least he went in there with a purpose. Thanks again! :thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good stuff! I am glad you got it sorted out! This is why this site is the best plus I love a challenge. Now you have to post the after pix of your work well done and show me how it looks now. I just got my front windows tinted 35% and I think that is as close you get to factory. I love Mexico as that is the legal limit where I live.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts